Messages of love and support to our TN friends in Italy

With the death toll at 250 and 28,000 homeless in Abruzzo, Italy,after being hit with a 6.3 magnitude earthquake, just want to take a moment to let all of our Italian friends here on TN know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

For those who are able to help in some small way UNICO has set up a disaster relief fund. Their web address is https://www.unico.org .

We hold you in our hearts.

Jen and Steve

This topic was edited
RE: Messages of love and support to our TN friends in Italy

Thanks Jen& Steve, you beat me to it!
Excelent post, I'm sure we all feel the same.
It's so good to see the site being used for good causes.

Here's theBritish Red CrossJen.

In the early hours of 6 April 2009, a powerful earthquake with a magnitude of 6.3 on the Richter scale struck the city of L'Aquila in central Italy, 120 km northeast of Rome.

According to the Italian Red Cross at least 90 people have been killed, 1,500 injured and eight remain unaccounted for. The numbers of dead and injured are expected to grow. Tens of thousands of people have become homeless in the city, which has a population of 70,000.

The Italian Red Cross rescue teams were on the scene of the disaster within an hour after the earthquake struck. It is presently scaling up personnel and equipment in the affected area to reinforce capacity for search and rescue, as well as meals and blankets for the survivors. The British Red Cross has donated 15,000 from its Disaster Fund to support the emergency response.

Please click on link for more info and donations.

https://www.redcross.org.uk/donatesection.asp?id=78138

Thanks Phil.

This post was edited
RE: Messages of love and support to our TN friends in Italy

I forgot to mention, Unico is a U.S. based organization. Does any one know of disaster relief funds that have been set up in other countries? If so, please post here. Post does NOT have to be in English. Also, if anyone can help me translate my post to Italian would appreciate it. My Italian is limited to just a very few words.

This post was edited
RE: Un messagio di amore per i nostre TN amici in Italia

I agree with sentiments of everyone here and my heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones and homes as a result of the earthquake disaster. I just visited Italy this past Fall for the first time and found the people exceptionally gracious and friendly. Even then, the effects of the world-wide economic difficulties seemed more pronounced there than here so Im certain that the relief agencies really need all the help and support that people can give.

This post was edited

Thanks Steve and Jen for starting this thread. I've been watching this on the news, and my heart goes out to these people. They are in my prayers.....

Steve

This post was edited

Col numero di vittime a 250 e 28.000 senzatetto in Abruzzo, Italia, dopo che essendo colpito con un 6,3 terremoto di importanza, vuole portare appena un momento a lasciare tutti gli amici italiani qui su TN sanno che lei nei nostri pensieri e nelle preghiere. Per quelli che possono aiutare in alcuno piccolo UNICO di maniera ha preparato un fondo di sollievo di disastro. Il loro indirizzo di tela https://www.unico.org la teniamo nei nostri cuori. Jen e Steve

WileAnna, gratzi por dare miuna mano! (Scusi, mio Italiano - como se dici, ummmm, is not very good)

Jen

This post was edited
RE: Death Toll in Italy rises

L'AQUILA, Italy (Reuters) Rescuers pulled more corpses on Thursday from the rubble of Italy's worst earthquake in three decades, braving strong aftershocks in the dimming hope of finding survivors.
The death toll from Monday's quake in the central region of Abruzzo climbed to 279 after rescuers recovered the latest bodies, including two students buried beneath a dormitory hall.
"I am here out of duty, emotion and also gratitude for everything that you are doing," President Giorgio Napolitano told rescue workers after visiting a makeshift mortuary.
"With the presence of the president, we felt the embrace of all of Italy," said Cesare Cardozo, priest of the village of Onna, where 39 of some 250 inhabitants were killed.
Tremors shook the medieval mountain city of L'Aquila and nearby villages throughout the morning, further damaging buildings and prompting authorities to cordon off the city center, which bore the brunt of the 6.3 magnitude quake.
The aftershocks terrified many survivors, 17,000 of whom spent another cold night in tent villages after being made homeless. Rescuers said the chances of finding anyone alive under the devastated city were decreasing every hour.
"Let's hope these aftershocks stop because it's very difficult for our rescue workers and for survivors as well," said Angelo Cutaia, a civil protection official at a camp holding 2,000 people in the outskirts of L'Aquila. "People here won't feel safe if the earth keeps trembling every night."
Many of the victims of the quake were students at L'Aquila university. At least 16 children, including a five-month-old baby, were killed.
The governor of the Abruzzo region, Gianni Chiodi, said around 10 people were still missing beneath the rubble.
Rescue workers haven't found any survivors for more than 30 hours. The last person rescued, a 20-year-old woman, was dug out from the ruins of a four-storey building late on Tuesday.
In rare cases, people have survived more than a week buried under rubble following earthquakes. The government has said searches will continue at least until Easter.

This post was edited
RE: Death Toll in Italy rises

back to the top

This post was edited