Starry Message About Wine

Starry Messenger: Cosmic Perspectives on Civilization is a recent book by Neil deGrasse Tyson I have been reading and he has a perspective on wine I thought I would share with you

"Among wine aficionados, there is a Latin expression, 'In vino veritas,' which translates to 'In wine there is truth.' Audacious for a beverage that contains 12 to 14 percent ethanol, a molecule that disrupts brain function and (irrelevantly) happens to be common in interstellar space. The epigram nonetheless implies that a group of people drinking will find themselves, unprompted, being calmly truthful with one another. Maybe that happens at some level with other alcoholic beverages. Even so, vanishingly few of us have ever seen a bar fight break out between two people drinking wine. Gin, maybe. Whisky, definitely, Chardonnay, no. Imagine the absurdity of such a line in a movie script: 'I'm going to kick your ass, but only after I'm done sipping my Merlot.'

Yes, in vino veritas.

This topic was edited
RE:Starry Message About Wine

Could you imagine John Wayne uttering such a line? His mega-starpower would've crashed faster than Newton's apple.

This post was edited