RE:Nudist "terms" and "word choices": what they actually mean and why they are used

Improving our dismal public image is a great goal and should not take much effort to begin improvement. However, it will require a lot of cooperation and coordination, and that seems to be lacking. In many ways, we are the group of old guys in the coffee shop that gather on a routine basis to "solve" the problems in the world. Discussion is good, but action is lacking.

This post was edited
RE:Nudist "terms" and "word choices": what they actually mean and why they are used

It's all semantics! The glass is half empty or half full, donald ducking, clothed from the waist up, you can leave your hat on...Sometimes it's fun to play with words and people's expecations, like testing the sign "no shoes, no shirt, no service" by just wearing shoes and a shirt.

I never saw anyone try in person and the only pictures I have seen on this site are of men whose shirts are long enough that you can't tell if they are wearing shorts or not. I did see a post on another board of a golfer holding a club and standing by a sign saying "Golf shoes and collard shirts required ". He was wearing that but nothing else.

This post was edited

If you have only a shirt on you can be described as naked from the waist down though....just to really complicate matters....I have also heard the expression naked from the waist up which has the same problem."Partially nude" can mean a lot of things. It can mean topless, bottomless, a loosely worn sarong, a cover-up/robe left open in the front, etc...Because there can be so many reasons behind "partial nudity" (body-shame/shyness, cold, protection from the sun, bugs, etc...), and so many variations of it, it is difficult to convey "context" or motivation without being more descriptive.

The tern "nude or naked" is often used by media to describe a woman topless. This is more evidence that the media, at least, regards female toplessness as equal to being nude or naked as complete nudity.

There is a Free the Nipple campaign/rally almost annually on the beach walk at Venice Beach in So. Cal. Typically, these women are indeed topless but are wearing shorts or pants. Some are in bikini bottoms. To keep from being arrested, the women appear topless but with pasties or black electrical tape across their nipples. The media has a field day with reports of naked women walking the beach walk "naked." The bikinis worn on this beach, daily, hardly cover any more skin than the tape on these women's nipples. All the while, news reports, social media posts are mounting about the "naked" women on Venice beach.

This post was edited

The bikinis worn on this beach, daily, hardly cover any more skin than the tape on these women's nipples. All the while, news reports, social media posts are mounting about the "naked" women on Venice beach.

This is something that has puzzled me for many years. Just what makes the nipple objectionable? They are a part of all of us, but on moobs they are OK.
Perhaps, the term almost naked would be appropriate even when those bikini tops are being worn or the bottoms that from the back have a thread going through the crack to a waist band that is equally small. It's a puzzling world.

This post was edited