Your weekly logical fallacy: ad hominem

You are just a poopy head and don't know what you are talking about if you don't know what an ad hominem argument. I mean is it even an argument or are you too stupid? Jerk face and such!

Sorry I got caught up in one of my favorite last acts of a desperate argument the ad hominem. So since I am too stupid to put it in my own words lets see what your logical fallacy has to say!

You attacked your opponent's character or personal traits in an attempt to undermine their argument.

Ad hominem attacks can take the form of overtly attacking somebody, or more subtly casting doubt on their character or personal attributes as a way to discredit their argument. The result of an ad hom attack can be to undermine someone's case without actually having to engage with it.

Example: In a debate about if non-sexual nudity should be allowed on public beaches, Sally gave an eloquent and compelling why it is not only moral, but can teach body positivity. Her opponent Greg said that Sally's argument should be discounted because she has an Only Fans account and takes marijuana recreationally.

This topic was edited
No replies yet.