Outdoor shower

We're finally finishing an outdoor shower that the previous homeowner started years ago. I uploaded a photo. The small wall in the foreground is actually two saloon doors opening both in and outward. I'm going to do a gazebo/trellis type open roof and run black pipe over those beams as a solar hot water heater.

This topic was edited
RE: Outdoor shower

I did do the trellis in PVC pipe and painted it black for solar hot water. It worked great. The only problem is we live in Phoenix and some of you may know we hit 120 degrees Fahrenheit last weekend. One of the pipes burst! So back to the old drawing board for ideas...

This post was edited

I have never seen this group before, but decided to join to offer advice on your project. Part of your problem stems from using PVC pipe, it is not intended for long term use with hot water. It can be used successfully many times when used on a standard system attached to a regular water heater, where it passes the hot water, then cools after use. But not when it get's hot and stays hot for hours on end under full system pressure. I would suggest using CPVC pipe instead. It is designed and intended for this purpose. If you decide to go this route, be sure to get the CPVC fittings also, as there is a slight difference in sizes between it and regular PVC fittings. They are NOT interchangeable for any given size of pipe. CPVC is slightly smaller in diameter. Be sure to get the glue and cleaner specified for CPVC also, since PVC glue is not compatible with CPVC pipe. It may hold for awhile, but will tun loose eventually. So don't cheap out and figure you will use the PVC glue you may already have, since you have it. You WILL be disappointed with the results. There are adapter pieces made to convert from PVC to CPVC that you can use to attach them where it may come out of a wall or slab, so look for them when you go to get your supplies to redo this solar water heater. I hope you find this helpful to you and your project. Let me know.One other thing, try to go with the largest size of pipe for the solar section of the pipe for greater volume of hot water. If your supply line is 1/2" or 3/4", go up to 1" or better yet 1 1/2" size pipe and then neck it back down in size to attach to your shower valve. It won't affect the flow rate in anyway, but will allow more water to be exposed to the sun for warming purposes, so it lasts longer when you are showering.

This post was edited

Fantastic, thanks for the advice! I'm just not good enough at sweat soldering to do the job in copper.

This post was edited

Threaded galvanized piping would work also. Most plumbing supply places will cut and thread it to the lengths you need. Either which way you decide to go, I would suggest adding a shut off valve and a way to drain it if your area ever experiences temps below freezing. Most likely just installing a shutoff vale will be enough, and just open the shower valve to drain it, or a separate drain valve just below the shower valve to be able to drain the stand pipe up to the shower head.

This post was edited

Fantastic, thanks for the advice! I'm just not good enough at sweat soldering to do the job in copper.Be sure to post up the results of your rebuilt solar water heater for the group. I would like to see how it turns out. If it goes over the frame above the shower in the photo gallery, I would suggest running one layer across the short distance, then double back across the long run perpendicular to the first for more heated water volume, and longer shower times.

This post was edited

Did you ever get this project completed? It's been three months now, so plenty of time to have gotten it done.

This post was edited

Did you ever get this project completed? It's been three months now, so plenty of time to have gotten it done.

Oh yes, I re-plumbed the whole thing with CPVC - it works great!

This post was edited

What size pipe did you use? Did you do like I suggested in post #6? If you were to paint it with a good external enamel paint, it will help protect it longer from UV rays. I would suggest Rustoleum Gloss black. I know it is for use on metal, but will do just fine on the CPVC, too. Black will help raise the temperature some more, and being gloss will enhance the looks of it.

This post was edited

What size pipe did you use? Did you do like I suggested in post #6? If you were to paint it with a good external enamel paint, it will help protect it longer from UV rays. I would suggest Rustoleum Gloss black. I know it is for use on metal, but will do just fine on the CPVC, too. Black will help raise the temperature some more, and being gloss will enhance the looks of it.

Yup black rustoleum just like I did the original PVC - it's run back and forth like a trellis. It's 1/2" pipe, total length is close to 160 ft, so that's plenty of hot water for a shower. It's hot again within an hour.

This post was edited

How is this rebuilt water heater working out for you after these last 8 months? Any problems encountered with it yet?

This post was edited