Let's be Open and Honest

Being Catholic I am always interested in seeing other members who are also Catholic. I always wonder about the folks who list their religious preference as Christian - Other. What is the "Other"? Are any of these people Catholics but they are too nervous or embarrassed to admit their true religious preference. One of the things about TN and being a nudist is that we can be open and honest about who we are. Sure we may have legitimate reasons to hide parts of our identities, but if there are no real reasons for this, then let's be as open and as honest as we can. The truth will set you free.

This topic was edited
Re: Lets Be Open and Honest

Dessert Rat,
Interesting question. I've always, unless otherwise specified, assumed 'Christian Other' meant a Protestant denomination. As for myself, I am listed as Catholic because 1) I was raised a Catholic, 2) I was educated as a Catholic, and 3) I love the known and comfort of the catechism in which I was raised (other rituals just do not move me the same).
I may or may ascribe to all the dictates of the current or old Catholic church and I cannot honestly claim to be a an every Sunday (Saturday night) going to church Catholic.
With all that rubbish out of the way, if someone were to ask me if I were Christian, I would say emphatically, "YES". Catholics are christian as are Baptists, Lutherans, Pentacostals, Anglicans. etc. The point is that not everyone ascribes to a particular form of Christianity. Each sect (and I include Catholics when I say "sect" in this instance) of Christianity has their own particular rules and regulations. Some are comfortable with ascribing to a particular "recognized" congregation; others are not. For the latter, they ARE Christian in that they believe Christ died for our sins (and so on and so forth), but they may not ascribe to an earthly pronunciation or catechism of that belief.

This post was edited
RE: Lets Be Open and Honest

I'd guess it's because as you scan down the list, you see "Catholic" followed by "Christian-Other" so if you're not Catholic you'll choose that rather than keep going.

Also, I was raised in a joint church - Church of England, Methodist and United Reformed. No-one knows who is what...

This post was edited
RE: Let's be Open and Honest

Like some others have stated, I do not follow a particular dogma or tenet, even though I was raised as a Baptist. Being from the South, there were several things taught as absolute truth, but the interpretations were based on ignorance and misunderstanding. I conducted my own Biblical research in an attempt to find the answers. Some things were made clear, but others remain a mystery. I did, however, come to the conclusion that the Bible isn't intended to be taken 100% literally. Its purpose is to teach and guide those who are Christians.

These are merely my own personal opinions, and are not meant as an attempt to change your own personal beliefs or opinions.

This post was edited

Blessed and baptized Mormon....now agnostic.....difference of opinion

This post was edited

I'm also Catholic... Born and raised, but haven't been going on a regular base for years now

This post was edited

I am Catholic but know a lot of people who would list other because they don't belong to a specific Christian denomination.

This post was edited

Pentecostal Protestant, presently unchurched due to internal (non-spiritual) problems in my former church.
I am in the same standing with the christian church. Pretty much now go with the natural order on this great earth, actions of god as I see in many loved fellow humans, and my own instincts.

This post was edited

I am not religous, but my definition of Christian (may be incorrectly) would be a person who follows the teachings of the Bible. To my knowledge there are a surprising number of these sects. I am sorry if my terminology offends anyone but I do not know what else to call them.

I am also wondering if the same type of thing occurs in other Religions such as Islam.

This post was edited
RE: Let's be open and honest

It's not a question that gets asked in Canada. It's totally separate from our politics as well.

This post was edited
RE: Let's be open and honest

I find it interesting that a discussion on religion - poosibly the most devisive and violent force known to mankind- is treated as a legitimate topic for discussion on a naturist website, but a recent thread about swinging was openly crushed by hostile members who attacked the OP on a personal level.
For the record, I support neither organized religion nor swinging.
However, it is interesting that the big business that is organized religion seems to find favour amongst the more accepted members of this site? Is that what constitutes acceptable postings here?

This post was edited