Canadian nudist in court

A nudist who runs a clothing optional resort has run into legal trouble for being naked outside of his site, especially in a coffee shop. Can't really tell from the media reports if he is just pushing the envelope or is it for gratification. Anyway, if he wins I think it's a good day for Canadian nudists.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/866600--naturist-fights-for-right-to-be-naked
https://www.vancouversun.com/news/accused+making+naked+trips+Hortons+challenge+nudity+laws/5048171/story.html
https://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/04/ontario-man-fights-canadas-nudity-laws

This topic was edited
RE: Canadian nudist in court

Although I think his methods are a little out of line, I do hope he is sucessful in winning his court case.
The effects of him appearing nude have been SO overblown as to be laughable. The man went through a drivethrough nude.....I hardly think the girl at the window is traumatized and requiring therapy, as the crown council has asserted.
Maybe this guy should have tried this in a somewhat less public location though. Judging by the comments following the news article, it seems the general conservative public is opposed to seeing him in all his glory.
Right message, wrong location, but I still hope he is successful in his trial!

This post was edited

Sounds like he makes this a habit, here's a snipet from the first article.
This is far from Coldins first run-in with the law. By his own count, hes been detained by police more than 200 times. In the early 2000s, he was charged numerous times with various offences, but all were dropped or cleared.

This post was edited
utilize Canada's own clothing optional beach before pushing the envelope

It is great that some people are trying to push the boundaries, but I just hope it will not backfire. Right now, our clothing optional beach in Toronto is quite under-utilized. I went there thrice since June, including once on Canada Day and this past Sunday, and each time the crowd is filled with clothed people. In fact, over 80% of the crowd is clothed, very very clothed, on Canada Day. I wasa little appalled. Seems like it is no longer clothing optional, but rather clothing mandatory.

This post was edited

"A date for the verdict will be set on Sept. 28." so it'll be a while before we know for sure.

This post was edited

i sure many of us would like to do the same thing for the nudist cause but most places it's beyond a slap on the wrist or minor fine and can actually become a felony and list you as a sexual predator, how did they get to the point where mere nudity makes a person a sexual predator. but than again look at these idiots covering nude statues in public places that have been there for years if not decades. we have lost something especially in the good ole USA everything equates to sex but in hollywood sex sales but don't take it beyond hollywood. i hope he wins in canada and canada wins in the long run.

This post was edited

Although I am not sure of his, and his friends motives, I once on a dare from my wife years ago, drove to Tim Hortons nude. I was in a SUV so seeing anything would have been difficult, but my motive was not to be seen but to drive there naked and back. I believe that these guys had the intent of being seen, and specifically made it difficult to even purchase the food. fumbling around for money, three seperate orders paid seperately. IMHO these guys were trying to be seen, and trying to make a statement, not just out enjoying a drive in the buff.
I hope this does help to loosen our laws abit, but I fear this could also go the other way and make them more restrictive, an awful chance to take. The lady in 1996 had nothing to lose, and changed the way things can be treated, I hope the right people with an open and honest frame of mind make the right decision.

This post was edited

I have met and spoken to this guy. He is pretty cool actually but very adamant about being free to be nude. If I were him, I would have stayed outside...I couldn't tell from the one article I read if he actually walked indoors. And it's a bit unfair to appear nude in front of one person in the drive-thru. That's rather contentious and could be threatening. Better to be relaxed and non-threatening and just take your shorts off in the quiet part of a park with some friends. Or walk the main street so no single person feels threatened. Whatever, I hope things go well for us. I just don't think I would have done it this way.

This post was edited

I have met and spoken to this guy. He is pretty cool actually but very adamant about being free to be nude. If I were him, I would have stayed outside...I couldn't tell from the one article I read if he actually walked indoors. And it's a bit unfair to appear nude in front of one person in the drive-thru. That's rather contentious and could be threatening. Better to be relaxed and non-threatening and just take your shorts off in the quiet part of a park with some friends. Or walk the main street so no single person feels threatened. Whatever, I hope things go well for us. I just don't think I would have done it this way.

This post was edited

I just posted a comment under the article in the Toronto Sun (bottom one of your 3 links) - just waiting for moderator approval. I couldn't believe how hostile all the other comments were towards the guy. It was probably a silly thing to do - pushing the envelope, as you say. But at the end of the day, he was just naked, for goodness sake! Yet those who posted comments make him out to be a sick exhibitionist whose sole intention is to wave his willy in front of children! Nowhere in the story does it even hint at that possibility! So much for the imaginative Canadian mind!It's not just Canadian minds. I think this is how it would be almost anywhere in the world where people are "governed". I hope it all endswell for nudists, and the defendant. It's possible it will undo a lot of forward movement. On the other hand, we can't forget...Nothing ventured - Nothing gained.

This post was edited

Yes, I agree with you, a response to one ariticle was so ignorant in that it even suggested that public nudity is wrong because "wwho would want to see fat ugly chicks". People like that are out there, so ignorant as to think thier standard of what looks good should be the standard, reminds me of an attitude back in the late 1930's Germany. Unfortunately there are people who create standards and perceptions and force them on others, nudity is a societal issue that seems to prevent logical thought to the insecure and uneducated society that we live in.

This post was edited