Scriptural challenge for naturists

True, there is no scripture that directly prohibits social nudism.
Here is one scripture that is a challenge for naturists. That is Luke 8:27-35. It tells of a man with evil spirits who was nude and lived in a cemetery (of all places). Then the evil spirits went into some pigs. Then the pigs rushed into a lake and drowned. Immediately they found the man wearing clothes and in his right mind.
This scripture could be used to disparage nudism, especially when it says that the man was clothed and in his right mind.Granted that scripture isn't directly relevant to social nudism.Lets hear it from some of you naturists.

This topic was edited
RE: Scriptural challenge for naturists

Perhaps it was freezing cold out, and no one in there right mind would be running around naked like a mad man in the freezing cold.

Also to convince others of a complete healing of the mad man, Jesus would need to restore the man to the full manner of the people seeing this mad man cured, and in doing so the clothing must have came out of thin air, as the mad man could not have run back into a tomb to get dressed as he never had clothes there in the first place, very convincing miracle.

This post was edited
"nude" vs "naked"

Catbird,
It is one thing to be "nude" (without clothing) when it is comfortable and practicle or when we desire to be so. It is entirely another to be "nude" when it is not comfortable nor practical. THAT is what is often referred to as being "naked", as in "exposed" to either the elements or to the wrath or vengence of someone else, "without NECESSARY protection".
The posessed man was not "nude" because that was how he wanted to be. He was nude because his posessors wanted to make him uncomfortable as a means of tormenting him and those who saw him. He was "naked" against their torments.
This event is not an indictment against "nudism". Rather, it is an indictment for us to care for those among us who are in need, be it physical or spiritual healing,food, housing and, because we live in a fallen world that is not always benefitial to our naked bodies, sometimes clothing.
Fortunately, we Christians can look forward to a day when clothing will be entirely obsolete, when our world will be restored to it's pristine and perfect environment, perfectly matched to our own perfectly restored bodies. (AMEN).

This post was edited
Too cold to be bold

With a quick Google check we can see the climate on and about the Sea of Galilee, and note it is some 700 foot elevation below sea level meaning they have shorter winters and longer summers there, (the average winter temperature there is 51 degrees F). If we look back at the 8th Chapter of the book of Luke just preceding this mad man incident and we clearly see it is right after Jesus calmed the sea during a storm. This would indicate it was likely to be during winter time, and if the average was 51 degrease it would be even colder right after a storm perhaps around 40ish. No sane naturist would be running around naked in those conditions unless they were mad....

This post was edited
Dignity, Freedom and Social Acceptance

That question is used once in a while, and the basic answer has nothing to do with naturism. It has all to do with the caring of Jesus Christ, taking care of the basic needs of the people.
I don't think there was a "miracle" in that clothing supposedly come out of nowhere. I'm sure the disciples would have mentioned that miracle.
VicJane touched on it when they mentioned social restoration. The man was not only in his "right mind", but he was also brought back "up" to "proper" social setting; he had clothes. Something like that servant character (slave) on Harry Potter that would be freed if given an article of clothing. It would mean that they are not forced to be naked or near naked as a slave, but brought up to the level of a free man.
This man was given his dignity back.
Boyd

This post was edited
RE:

The posessed man was not "nude" because that was how he wanted to be. He was nude because his posessors wanted to make him uncomfortable as a means of tormenting him and those who saw him. He was "naked" against their torments.
I think that while social nudity is not prohibited and while people usually socially wear clothing, people in groups have in history used a vulnerable person's nudity as a means of disrespect to him as they also exhibited some sense of superiority because they were clothed.

Social nudity is an example of where people must have an above average sense of trust in those around them. Much of the dread of being nude around others or the suspicion of other when nude really comes out of not trusting those around them.

This post was edited
RE:

Simple answer really. Why would the (formerly) demon possessed man remain nude anymore than anyone else in the area? You did not see people walking around in the nude, living nude in Biblical times. But if the occasion called for nudity for practical reasons, like working in the fields or fishing, or bathing in the river, than getting nude was no big deal, but a part of life. Don't read more into the story than what is there.
Don

This post was edited

It is not uncommon for the Scriptures to use nakedness as a metaphor for a condition of need or want. There are other examples going clear back to Genesis where God clothed Adam when all of the perfection that God created for Adam was thrown into chaos by Adam's disobedience. It is significant to note that the last verse in Genesis 2 leaves us with a picture of man's condition just prior to his fall...
"The man and his wife were both naked,and they felt no shame." Genesis 2:25
Some will say that God clothed man because man, through disobedience, became aware of his nakedness. I find that to be a silly and short sighted interpretation that loses sight of the real reason for man's fall. What man became aware of was his sinfulness. I believe God fashioned clothing for Adam and Eve to protect them from the harshness of a world thrown into a state of perversion by man's disobedience. No longer did man exist in an environment of perfection. What God had created for man's pleasure was now hostile to man's existence.
So...my reading of the account in Luke 8 merely indicates that Jesus delivered the man from a state of need to a state of normalcy.
I really don't believe that the account of the demoniac of the Gerasenes in Luke 8 can be effectively used as a prohibition against nakedness. It was fun reading some of the other responses...all very good observations. This has been a fun exercise.

This post was edited

Very well said. Nakedness is not important in this part other than how they were telling what was going on. It's the miracle that was done that is important.The Hebrews in Exodus were told to remove their ornaments so God could get a good look at them and see what to do with them. It wasn't too peep, as if His eyes cannot see past the barriers of clothing, no, I interpreted that as Him bringing everyone back to the common level of sameness being nude. To open their eyes to see each other equally.The Word doesn't claim nudity as wrong obviously since the beginning. We as mankind are the ones who made illegal to be naked, which in turn means that the law was broken by everyone born in this world. But it is not the Law of God to be clothed, nor naked.

This post was edited

The tough one for me is Matthew 5:28.But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.NIV This can happen with seductive clothing even more than nude. Donot flame me about nude vs lewd.
Seriously, men and women do boy and girl watch a bit. It can easily happen when both parties are bare too. Thoughts? OP

This post was edited

Matthew 5:28.But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.NIV
I think Matthew 5:28 can be difficult for many, but I really think it boils down to the definition of lust. I don't believe that simply recognizing the beauty of the opposite sex is at issue here. The dictionary definition of lust is...
1. intense sexual desire or appetite
2. uncontrolled or illicit sexual desire or appetite; lecherousness.
I believe it is a question of degrees. It is totally unreasonable to imagine that we can ever effectively deny our sexuality, so the question becomes, to what degree do we purpose to act on. For me, there is nothing wrong with appreciating the innate sexuality and beauty of another person. That is built into our most fundamental being. We are creations of God and thus our sexuality is divinely ordained. It's when we behold another and allow our appreciation to build into desire to act on the appreciation that it finally satisfies the definition of lust.
Notice the reference in this verse to the heart. We must remember that a thought is merely the seed...the sin is that seed coming to fruition in the heart. A pure heart frees us to look at the world in a way that allows us to rejoice in all the works His hands have made.

This post was edited