What is your doctrinal tradition and affiliation

I was born and reared Catholic and my wife was a member of a Methodist type church (one of those mega churches) She is now going through the RCIA process and will become a Catholic this Easter.

This post was edited
RE: What is your doctrinal tradition and affiliation

I was born and reared Catholic and my wife was a member of a Methodist type church (one of those mega churches) She is now going through the RCIA process and will become a Catholic this Easter.
Nudrus, that is GREAT! It is always better if husband and wife attend the same church together.
BTW, it's late but congratulations on your marriage. May it be filled with joy and peace together in the Lord.

This post was edited
Church background.

Mine is very ecclectic. Buckle in because THIS is a BUMPY ride! My mom took me about every week to the Assembly of God in my hometown until I was about eight. Then, we started going to my great-grandmother's Church, which was a Church of God (Cleveland) so that was not very different at all. Then at some point we quit going to Church altogether and I had a non-religious time from when I was about 12 to 13 or so. THEN, I started to attend Royal Rangers at the Assembly again. I always enjoyed camping and such. They had a new youth pastor that worked really hard to get me to come to youth, so I started youth instead of Rangers (a move I later regretted, not because of the youth, but because I wish I had stayed in Rangers.) and then there was some turmoil. so I gave up on Church altogether once again. My aunt had started to attend a "Christian" Church (Restoration/Stone-Campbell Movement) and one Sunday we decided to go give it a try. I was a freshman in High School. We really liked it and I got involved in the youth and drama departments. That is when I first felt called to be baptized and go into full-time vocational ministry. Well, at the same time, the Assembly had a new youth pastor and one of my friends invited me to come back there. I did, and since one was on Sunday and the other Wed, I was attending Sunday worship at the Christian church, Sunday evening youth at the Christian church, and Wed eve. Youth at the Assembly. Well, now it gets really confusing :) I decided to go to a well-known Christian college (just became a university) in central Illinois. It was mostly backed by churches in the restoration movement, so it was pretty well restoration theology, though they do a pretty decent job giving students the tools to study scripture rather than teach them doctrine by rote. However, it was increasingly clear to me the differences in theology. I had thought tongues was the only issue and since I considered that to be a very minor part of what it means to be a Christian in spite of my childhood, I thought they were both quite a bit alike. Well I decided I identified more with the Assemblies, so I transferred to another well known Bible college in Springfield, MO. There are four in that area, but if you are paying attention you can guess right. I didn't finish school, went to work for the school, left that job for a secular one, left THAT job to work for the General Council of the Assemblies of God HQ, then left there to pastor A STONE-CAMPBELL Church!! I still to this day have no idea what I was thinking. It didn't work out so well. Partly because I tried to mold the Church into what I thought it should be, and in so doing got in the way of Christ leading his own church, and partly because of a major sin I had allowed to creep in. Well, I went down in flames, but did get married at about the same time. We moved back to my hometown, got an apartment, I got a secular job, and we started going back to my home town Assembly of God. WHEW! Have you followed all this? THEN five years later, we had another falling out in the Assembly, so my wife and I started attending a Southern Baptist Church. It was a little more to what she was used to, since she was raised Missionary Baptist (there are a couple of denoms. that call themselves "Missionary Baptist" and she belongs to the one found mostly in KY, TN, especially Nashville, IN, especially Indianapolis, a couple in MO, central IL and FL, where her dad is a minister. NOW, we are moving to be closer to her parents, so we will at least for the time being attend her father's Church. Oh yeah, and for a time, when I was pastoring the Stone-Campbell church, I studied quite a bit about the United Methodist church. And now the ride is over, thank you for riding the Screaming Eagle, please be sure to watch your step as you exit the ride.

This post was edited
RE: Church background.

i've been to methodist, presbyterian and baptist churches i've seen the tv preachers but decided years ago to find my spirtual needs with GOD out in nature , i can feel his presents everywhere and especially walking in the woods floating on a river or lake, watching the birds, squirrels or raccoons, somehow most - not all preachers are not credit worthy with me and i know thats bad to say but they seem to pop up alot on the nightly news kinda like politicians. i know i can trust GOD to guide me as he has done for as long as i can remember.

This post was edited

I am writing this as I am naked. You bring up interesting views. I grew up in a Catholic neighborhood as a Methodist. I never believed in what the Catholics taught. Later in life, when the Methodist "church" and pastor let me down I went to the ELCA Luthern, that was the minister who tried to have me fired. I now am non-denominational and attend "bible study" where we actually learn from the word of God. As far as my tainted life is concerned, "organized" religion is organized by Man, power corrupts. If you don't believe it, just look at the constant scandals of the Catholics. Methodists with gay pastors and the list goes on and on. Nope, I'll stick to my bible study.

This post was edited

@sarasotaguy:

Kind of some of the same reasons I have had such a bumpy ride in switching denoms.

This post was edited

No offense to your wife but what you said is EXACTLY why I don't support the Catholic Church. God did not proclaim that we HAD to go to one church, just believe in HIM and his Son. Mary should be respected as a Mother but that's it!

This post was edited

I love this Joke, it was actually told to me by a Mormon.
Seems the Pope, one day, summoned all his cardinals together for "important news", the cardinals were all inquiring among themselves as to what the news could be when the Pope appeared. He said, " I have some good news and some bad news, which would you rather hear first?" "The good news" they all replied. So the Pope proceeded to tell them that he had been working at his desk when the "white phone" rang. This is the direct line the Pope has to Heaven. On the phone was Jesus Christ telling him to gather his people and prepare them for he was about ready for his second coming. Well, upon hearing the news the cardinals all were dancing and shouting in joy. One Cardinal then said, " Truly we are the ONE TRUE religion, Jesus Christ called OUR LEADER personally, what could possibly be the BAD news!?!?!?! The pope looked at him and said, " he called from Salt Lake City".

This post was edited
I had to share this with everyone.

YouTube - Leadership 2010 - Atlanta, Georgia - Sunday Morning
The Company I represent with my business. We had a convention this weekend in Atlanta, I just wanted everyone to see what the R3Global group does on the Sunday after the convention. if helping people get healthy and making a ton of money doing it WITH Christian people by your side and on your teamsounds like your kind of business opportunity. Contact me If not, just enjoy hundreds of people giving their lives to Christ and thousands in attendance to witness it. Sarasotaguy

This post was edited
churches

I grew up in a Christian church that was associated with Southern Baptists but it was "spirit-filled". I've been to all different kinds of churches besides Catholic...I've seen it all.

This post was edited