Mixed Gender Spa Experience

A few years ago I was in Amsterdam staying at a hotel that had an indoor pool and a separate area that had a spa, sauna and a relaxing area. This was a secured area and a special key was needed to use use the spas and saunas. Nudity was required and a towel was the only thing worn between the locker room and the spa. Once inside there were hooks on the wall near the door to leave the towel. There were men and women using the facilities. There were several spas to choose from depending on how hot you wanted and three saunas of different temperatures. There were several showers along a wall and a couple of buckets hanging just above head height with a rope to use when you come out of the sauna filled with cold water to use to cool off. There was a relaxing area with lounge chairs to use. It was a mixed group of naked hotel guest relaxing or reading a book or magazine. It was an incredible experience and I repeated my visits during my stay at the hotel.

This topic was edited
RE:Mixed Gender Spa Experience

We can only wish to have an attitude that relaxed in most of the English-speaking world

This post was edited

Many years ago in a prior life the company I worked for reorganized internationally and I ended up with a bunch of engineers from Germany reporting to me. I took a couple of them to one of our plants in Texas and we agreed to meet in the hot tub and plan our first night there. I was in the tub first in a bathing suit and the 2 german guys showed up wearing a towel and got in the tub naked. I had to tell them that we couldn't do that in the states and they were dumbfounded that we would wear suits in a hot tub. The good news is that no one else got in so it ended up not being a problem.

This post was edited

I feel bad for your German colleagues but glad it worked out. It really is a shame how prudish and backwards the U.S. is as pertains to social nudity.

This post was edited

Many years ago in a prior life the company I worked for reorganized internationally and I ended up with a bunch of engineers from Germany reporting to me. I took a couple of them to one of our plants in Texas and we agreed to meet in the hot tub and plan our first night there. I was in the tub first in a bathing suit and the 2 german guys showed up wearing a towel and got in the tub naked. I had to tell them that we couldn't do that in the states and they were dumbfounded that we would wear suits in a hot tub. The good news is that no one else got in so it ended up not being a problem.

A friend of mine belonged to a local gym with a coed hot tub. The largest employer in town had a corporate membership and a branch facility in either France or Germany. One of the visiting executives went to the hot tub, which was relatively full of a mixture of men and women, unwrapped the towel and jumped in nude!

This post was edited

Perhaps we should be petitioning hotels with pools and spas for adults only clothing optional hours. It is rare that I stay at places like this, but would be more inclined to use those facilities when available.

This post was edited

Since the pool at my former gym was essentially empty on Friday evenings, I suggested clothing optional hours, either coed or alternating male and female. Never happened.

This post was edited

I've been to a number of spas in Germany. It's the best.

This post was edited

I've been to a number of spas in Germany. It's the best.

Yes, most of the spas in Germany are nude and coed and very nice.

This post was edited

... they were dumbfounded that we would wear suits in a hot tub.

With good reason. You don't put special clothes on to get wet while taking a shower or a bath, so why do it to soak in a hot tub?
I live in a small country at the bottom of the world which has similar 'hangups' around nudity as the US does, yet I have grown up always questioning why people put swim gear on to get wet. It makes no sense at all. Simply creates more laundry.
Some years ago I lived in a house with a hot tub out the back and I had a sign up at the entrance which said "No swim trunks or bathing suits to be worn in the hot tub ".
Any visitors or guests I had needed to respect that, or they could choose not to use the tub.

This post was edited

Sorry, but mixed gender nude spas are normal in The Netherlands and Germany. There you don't wear swimsuits in a sauna. I was born in The Netherlands and live at the moment in Germany. I can't see why you want to wear anything in a sauna or swimmingpool.

This post was edited