RE: That's where I draw the line!

Wasn't the Crocodile Hunter a naturist? I'll get naked on the beach, but I'm not going to wrestle a freakin' alligator!

Steve Irwin was not known to be a naturist. He may have been a naturalist. A naturalist is defined as "one versed in natural history, especially in zoology or botany".

This post was edited
RE: Semantics: Nudism versus Naturism

All this what should one be called !

For me, I prefer the two most common. Either I'm called Curt, or some that know me from another context call me Cowboy.
Other lables just don't really fit.

This post was edited

Sorry for the lateness of my arrival...

I once heard that a naturist is a "nude naturalist." Othersare merely nudists.

????

This post was edited

Sorry for the lateness of my arrival...I once heard that a naturist is a "nude naturalist." Othersare merely nudists.????

You can call me someone that likes to get nekkid. That doesn't require as much explaining.

This post was edited

Sorry for the lateness of my arrival...I once heard that a naturist is a "nude naturalist." Othersare merely nudists.????
You can call me someone that likes to get nekkid. That doesn't require as much explaining.

Ooooh---oooooh! (Hand raised for attention) Me, too!!

This post was edited

In some of my research, I've discovered one person who said she wasn't so much a nudist as she was a free-beacher. In other words, her main interest was trying to free the beaches, and perhaps other recreational land, for nudeuse, rather than adopt an entire lifestyle, which is what is implied by the other terms.

This post was edited

I enjoy nature, but I'm not someone that lives a perfectly natural life. I like things like hygiene and a roof over my head, so naturist isn't quite accurate. I like being naked, but I don't want to wear the nudist badge. Some have given it an almost religious connotation. I am not an activistby any stretch of the imagination, so your acquaintance's title of free-beacher will not do for me at all. Explain to me again; why do we have to pin a name on this donkey?

This post was edited

I just hate wearing clothes. I tend to use the term nudist because I think the term naturist is philosophy of lifestyle that incorporateswhole of life natural living. I'm not into that. But I reckon the term Nakedist mentioned by NudeInMA probably suits me best.

This post was edited

Gymnophile (prefix gymno - naked) has a wonderfully pedantic ring to it. :-)

Works for me. It even makes sense in French!

This post was edited

These two words are always a bit odd, especially when you are trying to put things in to Google.
In Europe we do use Naturist more than in the US (not naturalist, which is very different!!!), but people do understand Nudist. For us though it does have the overtones of "N U D E" which doesn't sound so good to the sensitive British ear.
Just a remark, I was recently asked if I lived in a nudist-colony!! That is a term I have not heard in years - mind you, "Naturist Colony" doesn't quite have the same ring though. ha ha (I did reply that Ants live in colonies and humans do not).

This post was edited