naturist principles

An interesting blog post of an italian naturist. Shows an interesting view. So we have the "what is naturism and what is nudism" discussion also in the INF. Or better does naturism still exist? I would say yes, we fight for it.

https://blog.inf-fni.org/the-principles-and-purity-of-the-naturist-philosophy/

This topic was edited
RE:naturist principles

I agree it does still exist, and I will fight for it as well. There are changes in methodology that are needed. We need not be mired in the past with that but the core principles can remain and be reimagined for the current context.

This post was edited

I get that for some people, "naturism" is defined as a specific life-style with a commitment to gradually purifying and ennobling the body. By that standard, the use of tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, and meat-eating is discouraged, and calisthenics and sports are emphasized.

I admire the people who have set themselves on this path and are proud of what they've accomplished.

But there really aren't many of us who fit that description. For the most part, nudism for us simply means being more comfortable without clothes than we are with clothes. We drink, we look forward to our morning coffee, and enjoy a hamburger once in a while. That makes us "true nudists" but failed naturists.

That's why I prefer to think of naturism as a spectrum rather than an end point. The more we follow the precepts of naturism, the healthier we'll probably be. But I prefer to think of them as personal goals rather than social ones.

This post was edited

Modern nudism/naturism arose as a reaction against industrialization which destroyed the ideal of rural self-sufficiency. As a distinctive practice, system, or philosophy of any "ism," it needs to adapt to a changed world in order to remain relevant.
It seems to me that naturist and nudists generally reflect their surrounding populations. Whereas the original naturists had a very strongly defined philosopy and lifestyle, I don't see any corollary tpdau between those who like to shed clothes and those who live more holistically (such as through fitness and organic food). People's contemporary beliefs seem largely defined by a consumer perspective - what's in it for me? So if people are naturists or nudists seems like a moot point - it's about having a ticket to be naked.

Those are my prinicples, and if you don't like them, I got others. ~ Groucho Marx

This post was edited

I get your point. I think this is the big difference between European style naturism and US nudism. The Europeans who introduced naturism to the U.S. brought more than the practice of social nudity they brought a social philosophy. Many European naturists still have that at the core of their naturist way of life. In the US the focus on personal goals has devolved whatever worked for me is what nudism is. IMO this is in large part a reflection of the rest of US society and responsible for the slow steady decline of American nudism.

I cant help but wondering how it came to be that as you point out very few individuals indentity with and reflect naturist ideals today. could it be that we have seen the enemy and it is us?

But I prefer to think of them as personal goals rather than social ones.

This post was edited

I cant help but wondering how it came to be that as you point out very few individuals indentity with and reflect naturist ideals today. could it be that we have seen the enemy and it is us?

Yes, a good point!

This post was edited

Good discussion. Thanks guys. You've got me thinking.

This post was edited

This is the accurate description of the origins of naturism. It was some kind of sobriety movement. The was more a reflection of the Lebensreform or life reform movement that was a derivative of the early naturism that emerged in some European countries

Modern nudism/naturism arose as a reaction against industrialization which destroyed the ideal of rural self-sufficiency. .

This post was edited

This is a wonderful post that looks at both the historical roots of naturism the deviation from those roots. The language of naturism and nudism and the consequences of all the above. Thank you for sharing. I will be sharing this with others.

An interesting blog post of an Italian naturist. Shows an interesting view. So we have the "what is naturism and what is nudism" discussion also in the INF. Or better does naturism still exist? I would say yes, we fight for it.https://blog.inf-fni.org/the-principles-and-purity-of-the-naturist-philosophy/

This post was edited