Black's Beach!

I visited the beach once before. The beach itself is beautiful but the hike going back up, damn I thought I wasn't going to make. I told myself I couldn't do that climb again. Now I'm thinking of heading back this week, should!?

This topic was edited
RE: Black's Beach!

Of course you should! The problem is that too many people think they have to make that trek back up the trail from the beach, in one continuous climb/hike. STOP, take a breather, drink water, catch your breath and then continue on for a little while longer. REPEAT AS NECESSARY!
It takes us a little over twice as long to get back up as it does to get down. Take it slow and rest often ... going back up!
;-)

This post was edited

How high is the cliff?It's commonly quoted as being 300 Feet vertically. That is to get from the beach to the parking lot. The trail has a lot of switch-backs and is mostly loose dirt. You have some improvements toward the top so it's easier to negotiate.

This post was edited

Of course you should! The problem is that too many people think they have to make that trek back up the trail from the beach, in one continuous climb/hike. STOP, take a breather, drink water, catch your breath and then continue on for a little while longer. REPEAT AS NECESSARY!It takes us a little over twice as long to get back up as it does to get down. Take it slow and rest often ... going back up!;-)I did go back! I did take rests, I went slower and it was much easier this time! Loved it!

This post was edited

We don't go to Black's as often as we'd like, but we do visit over a dozen times a year. We, also, don't know what the changes are to say that it's gone down hill. We'd been going to San Onofre for over 15 years and then they took that beach away ... so we headed south. We find the same jackasses at Black's as we did at San O. We park ourselves close to other couples and usually end up with some single females close by because ... we must look safe! hahaha
The trek back up is killer. My wife has been exercising daily for months and is now ready to give it a go again to see if the exercise has paid off. I take lots of breathers and we have water for the trek up. I'm not ashamed to stop often and it makes the day at the beach much more enjoyable and my wife is more willing to face the trek when she's less exhausted from the hike up.

This post was edited

Black's Beach is a gem. Access from the "top" may be either difficult or impossible for some, but as long as you're willing to walk, you can access Black's from Torrey Pines State Park. Just park where ok to do so, head south. You'll get there!It's avery long walk and I don't believe you can get past flat iron rock at high tide. If you get to the beach and remain there while the tide rises, you might be stuck there for another 6 hours. I believe you have the same situation coming from the south. We often came in from the south but a landslide blocked the access. Eventually the waves washed out the landslide and we could get by again.

This post was edited

The ranger's road is a little easier, but it's a longer trip, and puts you nowhere near parking, but reasonably close to the bus stop.Once upon a time, I walked south to La Jolla, but that was 20 years ago, I don't know if that's at all accessible anymore (and I'm pretty sure there was some wading involved)

This post was edited

Several naturist groups, including one that I'm part of is going to Blacks Beach this coming Saturday (28th), It would be great to meet some new friends there. If anyone has the day free, I highly suggest you go! :) Lets just hope the weather is good.

This post was edited

I was at blacks during the golf tournament and the tide was hard to get past from the state preserve. You had to wait for a pause in the tide to get past some sections. Last time I went south it was clear all the way to Scripps peer but that was in Feb. of last year. There is a spot near the peer where water (from where I do not know) flows into the ocean and you may get you shoes soaked but other than that it's a matter of finding a finding a place to park and committing to a long walk.
Has anyone ever tried parking at La Jolla Shores park and walking north?

This post was edited

I will be visiting San Diego the weekend of April 10. I'd love to visit Blacks Beach, but I'm concerned about the accessibility issues. I have rheumatoid arthritis. I've had both knees and one hip replaced. I can walk, obviously, but I'm not good for long distances and difficult terrain.
I was told recently that they have put in some basic wooden planks to create almost a stair-like trek up and down the cliff. But, still not sure i can do that. I'd hate to get all the way out there (my friend is going just because it's something I want to do) and then find I can't make the final approach.
And the approach from the north is a long walk, right? I can do about half a mile on level ground before I need to break for a while.
Ahh, the challenges of just wanting to be naturale outdoors....

This post was edited

I visited Blacks for the first time last summer. In fact my main profile pic was taken there. It was great, but the hike out was like the Batan Death March. Was really encouraging to see the young surfer types flying up the trail carrying their boards while I stopped to breath. LOL

This post was edited