Difference between 'Nudist' and 'Exhibitionist'?

Hello guys,
Today I was watching a forum where ladies posted their various pics 'flashing' along roadsides, beaches etc. Some were even totally naked outdoors and call the thread 'Nudist'. Which got me thinking what is the difference between both the words? Are they same?

This topic was edited
RE: Difference between 'Nudist' and 'Exhibitionist'?

A nudist is someone who's simply comfortable and enjoys being naked.
An exhibitionist is someone who gets erotic pleasure from exposing some or all of their naked body. The bad example that most people think of are flashers who expose themselves to unwilling participants. But there are also those who get erotic pleasure exposing themselves to willing participants whether that be strippers, participants to public events that include nudity (e.g.; WNBR, Folsom Street Fair, Burning Man, etc) . . . . and yes, "nudists" at nudist events.

Getting erotic pleasure does NOT necessarily mean that a person has to be pleasuring themselves or achieving climax. Merely that the sensual nature of their naked body is being appreciated.
One could say that textiles wearing certain types of clothing are forms of exhibitionism as well. But it also doesn't mean that a nudist who gets some satisfaction of having their naked body seen, as long as they abide by the rules of whatever establishment / location they're in, are to some extent exhibitionists as well.
I've met people who call themselves "exhibitionists" who are better behaved than some card carrying, so-called "nudists".

This post was edited

I agree! To many people relate nudism with sex. Nudism is just a particular lifestyle.

This post was edited

Agree with you, people are often confused and mix exhibitionism with nudism.

This post was edited

They are clearly not the same, they are spelled very differently.
As Humpty Dumpty says in "Alice in Wonderland": "When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
We cannot control how others use words or what they mean by them. But we can claim a definition and try to correct people who use words in ways we disagree with. As "nudists", we claim that means people who enjoy being naked in social, non-sexual*, settings.
Likewise, "naturist" is often misused to mean people who study nature or enjoy nature. "Naturalist" is sometimes misused to refer to people who enjoy being nude (natural) out in nature.
* Levels of "non-sexual" may vary from person to person.

This post was edited