How to start?

We've a married couple in our early 30's. We want to try the nudist life, but do not know how/where to start. We don't want to all nudist resort because we might chicken out. We did some research on some "clothes optional" places, but those got bad reviews. Any suggestions? Thanks

This topic was edited
RE: How to start?

Is it legal to go nude at lakes and rivers?

This post was edited

I agree. Get comfortable with yourselves being nude around the house. Start looking for a resort or beach in your location that is supporting the Skinny Dip this year in July. Attend it. It is easier if you feel you have a reason to be nude the first time. It helps you to relax and take your mind off the nudity.

This post was edited

During the summer, Secret Cove and the other nude beaches south of Incline Village on Lake Tahoe are a great place to go. As a couple I think you would also enjoy Laguna Del Sol.

This post was edited

I see by your profile that you are newbies. That's fine, everyone had to start somewhere. Please try to fill out your profile; people will be more comfortable in contacting you. If you do decide to go to a nudist beach, DO NOT try to find a private secluded area. Try to find a place near the main group. Unfortunately there are weirdos and gawkers and they will bypass the main group and try to harass the lone individuals. What you are doing is transitioning from being home nudists to social nudists, so be social. GOOD LUCK.

This post was edited

Start at home. Spend your time naked there. Once you realize how much you like it then look into beaches, there are a few places up by you, granite bay on folsom lake and auburn on the river. Once you are hooked on it the you can try the clubs. Laguna del sol has a music festival (nudestock) lots of people so you can blend into the crowdI agree with Taurusjohn. If chickening out is a concern, a practical preliminary approach is to spend more time nude at home.

• I started that way. At first, not getting dressed again after taking my evening shower and going to bed nude. That evolved into me just stripping when I got home from work and just staying nude. It just became a habit/ritual for me.

• I'm a shy person. But by the time I decided to try a nudist resort, I was comfortable enough being nude. I took off my clothes right away, rather easily. My then-wife was very reluctant; but we'd been nude together so often at home that she eventually felt comfortable going nude as well. Yes, it was a nude resort; but we elected to stay away from the "public" areas, be by ourselves, and my wife was able to disrobe at her own pace before finally going nude and even interacting with other nudists.

• There's also the nude beach option, as others have mentioned. You can find yourself an isolated part of the beach and undress at your own pace. Still, trying to be nude frequently at home works as a preliminary step.

This post was edited

It seems to me that the normal human reaction is one of apprehension. In my case I enjoyed being nude, had been to nude beaches on many occasions but maintained a distance from others I recall on one occasion there were many more nudists than usual and they seemed to be chatting in groups etc so I decided to walk along the beach through the area where most were. The negative messages kicked in . Would I chicken out. Would I get an erection. Would everyone turn and gawk. Would everyone be judgemental. Well what a waste of energy all that negative thinking was. None of that happened and I was able to move on . So my suggestion as to where to start. Yes do as many suggest but at a point face your apprehensions head on. Really are only two possible outcomes. You find that it is not for you and you have resolved that or like me the freedom is exhilarating and all those fears were wasted energy. But beware as it can be addictive!

This post was edited

Start by reading everything you can get your hands on over at WWW.AANR.COM

This post was edited

We've a married couple in our early 30's. We want to try the nudist life, but do not know how/where to start. We don't want to all nudist resort because we might chicken out. We did some research on some "clothes optional" places, but those got bad reviews. Any suggestions? ThanksSometimes ... those that are new to this type of lifestyle/recreation/hobby (nudism) are a afraid to take the resort/clubplunge and I've said it many, many times ... start at home, then visit a beach, as DanandRonnie has stated and then graduate to a resort or club ... BUT ... if you indeed live in Sac ... one of the best places we've visited was Laguna Del Sol. I don't know of any nude beaches, rivers, lakes in that area but if there are none or the closest is too far away ... Laguna Del Sol is a great place to give it a try.
It's plenty large enough for you to have ample space and area to be alone and by yourselves while you look onto the happenings of the entire resort grounds. It's safer than a tolerated nude beach because there are no gawkers or voyeurs. There are just other people like yourselves that enjoy being naked and are there for the right reasons.
It is easy to "chicken out." But if you're determined to try it and there is no nude beach near you ... Laguna Del Sol is an excellent option for first timers. If you have a tent or RV ... take that and just hang out alone at your site and enjoy the nude environment and ... if you decide to chicken out ... all you have to do is pack up and leave, but I'm betting you won't leave, once you're there.

This post was edited

We can second AndyDi's recommendation. If you are in Sacramento already, this should be a nice low-key place to start at (just don't go during their Burning Man a.k.a. Naked Man or their Nudestock weekends). We live outside Boston, MA and we still go there. It is that good. They do have a beach out back along the Cosumnes River. It should be very quiet by the river if you think the pool areas are too crowded at first. But if you go mid-week it should not be super busy, so you can start slow at one of the pools.

This post was edited

Check out C-O Home Network (Clothing Optional Home Network) which sponsors clothing optional B&Bs around the country, such as California, and Mexico, perhaps beyond. It'll give you the chance to explore nudity, even social nudity, on a small scale as you try to determine whether or not you want to join others in the nudist way of life.
Jim Shedd

This post was edited