RE:What does "like minded" mean to you?

If I said that I was looking for 'like-minded' people after describing my life by mentioning these points it doesn't necessarily mean that I am looking for nudists who do all of these things in a similar way. I'd more likely be looking for others who share nudism as a major interest, but not necessarily doing all of those things, or in the same ways or amounts of time as me

I Agree Nik

This post was edited

"....In response to Nik; I still find it puzzling that someone that is a nudists, states so on their profile and then states they are looking for "like minded" people. Aren't we all "like minded" on that one issue; living a nudist lifestyle? Why come here and state that you're interested in meeting others that live a nudist lifestyle. The vast majority of those real nudists here, do that already...."

Andy - we can't speak for those who do that, we have to hope that someone who has done so speaks up and joins in with this thread. If I came across a profile where these things are included in their info I'd guess that they were possibly trying to filter out those who are not real nudists, whatever a true, real, dedicated etc nudist is. Granted its widely accepted that those looking to meet people on TN might well be nudists looking to meet other nudists, irrespective of how they each define their nudist lifestyles. I attempted to briefly summarise how I live as a nudist, my personal nudist lifestyle. I have good friends who live very similarly but none that are the same. We are all nudists who like being naked whenever and wherever possible, especially socially. If one was not naked when the others are, they'd most likely be asked if they were feeling OK. We think along similar lines about a good number of things, but rarely exactly the same on most things. We are most probably similar-minded, more than like-minded, if like means more exactly while similar means almost alike. Confused? I am!! We're possibly like-mindedly confused now!

Ultimately when it comes down to defining words and phrases among a group of people, we're going to interpret them in various ways.

This post was edited

Thanks Nik! I agree with you but it's one of the reasons I started this thread, to get others to give me their opinions on the subject. I think for the most part, those that have very little about themselves in their profile and state they are looking for "like minded" people or friends, really need to take a step back and wonder why hardly anyone is responding and hopefully understand why I and you and I won't allow them into any of the groups we moderate! These people can't expect to share nothing and get everything in return.

;-)

This post was edited

I saw soon after you started this thread Andy that it had the potential to be an interesting discussion, and its proved to be so. There have been some really interesting and thoughtful posts here, thanks to all for helping make it so. The point about giving and taking is very valid as well as relevant in the context of trying to keep the group active, without lots of passengers not involved in the give and take that makes things work well.

I have good textile friends who know that I enjoy participating in this sort of online discussion with other nudists. They are curious about what nudists find to discuss in the ways that some of us do here, they don't do similar things with 'like-minded' textiles in online forums. I tend to say to them that its only some nudists who get involved in the ways that people have in this thread, there are others who just say things like 'I agree', but don't make it clear whether they agree with the post immediately before theirs, or the one 4 pages back that said something very different. Engagement is not a character trait that is to the fore with everyone. Not all nudists can or want to make the same commitment to living the nudist 'lifestyle'. Not all nudists are nudists, some prefer to be naturists etc! Can I, as a nudist, meet 'like-minded 'naturists'? The words may merely be labels, or they could be much more defining. I really like thinking of myself as a nudist, its the word that was used by those clued up people who introduced me to social nudity many years ago. I became a nudist that day, or at least I let my previously suppressed inner nudist out.

How about some new takes on 'like-minded'?

This post was edited

I never paid much attention to the "like minded" thing, although as with others, I got the idea it referred to like minded sexual activity. I am actually interested not so much in people who are exactly like me, but in people who have different ideas and tastes. The vast majority of people on TN may not be to my taste, but that still leaves a lot of interesting people and that is why I am still here. Those that I find offensive I don't "friend" and otherwise ignore, so that I can enjoy those I find interesting.

This post was edited

How about some new takes on 'like-minded'?

Nik,

It may be time for me to go through the member list and dump a bunch more members that aren't getting involved in group discussions! :DDD

This post was edited

How about some new takes on 'like-minded'?Nik,It may be time for me to go through the member list and dump a bunch more members that aren't getting involved in group discussions! :DDD

Andy, I was trying to be subtle!!

This post was edited

To me, like minded is a nudist who is prepared to go outside their comfort zone to embrace being in the big outdoors, be it beaches, hiking or ten pin bowling. In those situations, you may be alone or in a group or just one of many.

But it can also be a BBQ or a dinner party which can be more confronting for those who are a little shy in social nudity situations.

I like to try and expand my nudist activities which have include 'dares". These being taking selfies (or have an acomplice) to take photos is very public locations, bearing in mind the need to be discrete and not cause offence.

This post was edited

Like minded to me means; NAKED EVENTS BBQ's, socializing, swimming, skinny dipping, jaw jacking around the fire ring, meeting new people, conversation (common views, able to discuss opposing ideas), just about anything appropriate and wholesome. When looking at a new profile that is minimally filled in or all areas blank and see "Like minded friends" I am left with ideas as blank as the profile cause unfortunately I have zero physic abilities.. so my suggestion is if you say you want to meet like minded nudists, please give an idea of what your minds have inside.

This post was edited

Like minded to me means; NAKED EVENTS BBQ's, socializing, swimming, skinny dipping, jaw jacking around the fire ring, meeting new people, conversation (common views, able to discuss opposing ideas), just about anything appropriate and wholesome. When looking at a new profile that is minimally filled in or all areas blank and see "Like minded friends" I am left with ideas as blank as the profile cause unfortunately I have zero physic abilities.. so my suggestion is if you say you want to meet like minded nudists, please give an idea of what your minds have inside.

You described it and us very well. Guess we are like minded !! I see the phrase on a profile and immediately dismiss it as means nothing understandable to me for I am not Carnac. I avoid ever using the phrase about us because it does mean swinging to a great deal of people. We have good friends that are in the swinging lifestyle and they use the term. When we initially became friends if I had dropped that term with them there would have been a big misunderstanding. It's pretty easy to use descriptive words so there is no question what your interest are avoiding any confusion.

This post was edited