Did I break the nudist code?

Hi all. My wife and I had our first nudist experience on holiday recently on praia Grande in Portugal. Absolutely loved it. We went twice. Its part clothed part nudist so it was a bit strange walking to the sea naked with clothed people walking by.

I have a couple of questions if thats o.k? (I did use the 'search forum' function but didn't see exactly my question)

1) on a clothed beach I like to wander around collecting bits and bobs....driftwood, shells I have even started to take home rubbish from the beach (to bring to recycling centre) when I go surfing. Is it o.k to walk around a nude beach in this manner? I really enjoyed the feeling of walking naked which leads me to my next question. I felt I shouldn't walk around the beach so didn't really.

2) I walked behind the dunes as there were absolutely no people there. I didn't manage to find much but did get some stares off a couple. It felt a bit uncomfortable as I didn't know why they were staring. Is it forbidden to go back there in breach of the tolerance for nudists?

3) I had spoken to this couple on the way back from the water. I asked them ' how much of this beach was nudist tolerant?' I got my answer said thanks and went back to my wife. Is approaching other nude people or talking to other nude people a 'don't do' on a nudist beach?

We have already decided that our next holiday will definitely involve a nudist beach for the week......possibly even a nudist campsite, but next time we'd like to be a bit more informed/ wiser.
Many thanks for your patience in reading this.

This topic was edited
RE:Did I break the nudist code?

1. It's perfectly fine to walk the beach, pick up litter, whatever you would do on a clothed beach. (When I lived near an urban c/o beach, I would take an empty trash bag on every visit, and leave with it full.) The one thing you may see referred to on forums as a negative is walking the beach with the obvious intent to look at bodies, or show off your own. You are not doing this - if you were, it would never occur to you to wonder if you had breached a protocol.

2. At some beaches, the back beach is not really clothing-optional. At other beaches, the back beach may be thought of as a place for sexual activity (which does not mean you can't go there just to collect shells!) Either possibility might have gotten you a stare; it's a local thing, so I can't really comment specifically.

3. Talking to people is definitely in order. As on a textile beach, be sensitive to people's varying level of desire for quiet or for talk; don't stand over people who are situated on their towels or blankets for very long unless they invite you to stay or continue to take the initiative in a conversation; you are a guest in their space.

This post was edited

Walking along beach to collect shells and such is common and not a problem. Like mentioned above if you were walking along to stare at people you wouldn't have even thought to ask. Picking up litter is admirable and would be nice if more people believed in leaving a beach cleaner than they found it.
One thing to be aware of is some dunes are sensitive eco systems and even on textile beaches there will be signs to stay off the dunes. Naturally if there is such a sign you shouldn't go there.

This post was edited

Go to Hippie Hollow in Austin Texas. Not a resort but a County Run park that is clothing optional. Everyone is naked and nobody cares. You have to be clothed going in and parking but after that there is a sign - no nudity past here. Shuck and go. Not a beach per say but a rock mountain side with shelves where people hang out. Lake Travis has plenty of views and water. Attaching a few photos here.

This post was edited

Thanks for your replies. It puts my mind at rest and we will feel more at ease the next time we go.
As for standing over someone when talking.....its a really good point. I was standing while talking to that couple but instantly felt it was weird so squatted down to their level as sitting were sitting on their towels.
I suppose common sense has a lot to do with it.

We live in Ireland so not much opportunity to go nude here.
It will have to remain a holiday thing.

Many thanks

This post was edited

Thanks for your replies. It puts my mind at rest and we will feel more at ease the next time we go.As for standing over someone when talking.....its a really good point. I was standing while talking to that couple but instantly felt it was weird so squatted down to their level as sitting were sitting on their towels.I suppose common sense has a lot to do with it.We live in Ireland so not much opportunity to go nude here.It will have to remain a holiday thing.Many thanks

Even when clothed, I find it a courtesy to meet a person at the same level. If they are standing, I will rise. If sitting, I'll attempt to sit or get down on one knee.

This post was edited

Praia Grande is not a nudist beach. Did you saw any Information about that? for sure no.

This post was edited