4 vs. 3 blade props

We bought an 18' Bayliner this summer, we have a jeep and did not want to get a big truck so boat size and weight was limited to the towing capacity of our jeep, max tow 3,500lbs.

Boat has a 115hp outboard, we ski behind it the wife can get up on a slalom ski no problem. I weight 185 and its a struggle, currently running a 16p 3 blade at Lake Powell 3,600' ABSL and I hit close to max rpm's with that prop. I can run wide open 5800rpm @ 38mph max rpm is 6000.

Considering a 15p 4 blade prop for better acceleration to get me up quicker and easier, not to concerned about losing a little top end speed.

Thoughts?

This topic was edited
RE:4 vs. 3 blade props

Other option instead of a 4 blade is to go larger diameter while going down in pitch.

This post was edited

Changing diameter, especially going larger, is not usually an option on an outboard motor. Reducing the pitch to 15 and going to the 4 blade should work. Most water skiing is done between 25 and 30 mph, typically 28, so the reduction in top end speed should not affect your skiing.

This post was edited

I only used a 4 blade stainless on the ocean for better midrange

This post was edited

Check out:
https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/propellers/selector/#!/step-one

This post was edited

Check out:https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/propellers/selector/#!/step-one
This site ^^ is a good suggestion but be ready to provide more information than you've given us here about your boat, motor specs and other information that you may need to go look up. (How many people know their drive gear ratio off the top of their head? lol!) It's mostly multiple choice though so you can guess at some of it. And even though it's a Mercury site, they offer 9 different makes to choose from.

This post was edited

It's been a while since I had it, but I had an 18' Searay that I put a 5 blade stainless on, and while I'm not sure I noticed a performance difference, it was *way* smoother and pleasant.

This post was edited