Temperature

I live in Scotland. It's famously not the warmest of places. We've been pretty lucky recently, but now it's getting cooler again. The other day me and my wife were having dinner. She isn't a nudist, and was wearing two t-shirts, a hoody, leggings and wooly socks. I was naked. She asked me if I was cold, and I have to say, I really wasn't. I felt kind of cool and fresh, but I wasn't uncomfortable in the least. The weird thing is, that when I am dressed, say, at the office, I can easily find myself reaching for a jumper in similar conditions. I began to wondering if I experience temperature differently when I am nude, or maybe I would rather be cool and nude than warm and dressed. What are other experiences? Does it have to be warm for you to be undressed? Does it not bother you? What's your limit? Do you have ways of dealing with the cold that don't involved getting dressed or pumping your central heating?

This topic was edited
RE:Temperature

I've done outdoor nudity in very chilly temps here in the US. I have been naked outside in temps around 32F (0C) and even once closer to -5F. I can easily tolerate in the 40-50F range for a short period (15-20 minutes) while naked. Although I generally handle the cooler temps much better than the warmer temps (both naked and clothed).

This post was edited

I tend to only be nude when it is pleasantly warm enough to be - whether that's outside in summer or indoors in winter. I've walked between buildings nude in winter, which wasn't very pleasant but was only a matter of seconds. Otherwise, definitely a "fairweather nudist"! That said, it depends on the situation. It can be a hot day but a bit of a breeze coupled with laying doing nothing can make it chilly, whereas of course if you're walking or doing something active, its easy to feel much warmer.

This post was edited

having been nude as much as possible over the years I think my body has adjusted to being comfortable at lower temperatures than most people. I will be comfy in shorts and a sweatshirt when most folks are still in long pants and winter coats. I have been outside nude at very long temps for short periods. The current record is -18F streak to the curbside mailbox to get the morning paper. I routinely step out to feed the barn cats
or get into the hot tub at temps well below freezing. The key is no wind.
Inside I go totally nude at house temps in the 60s as long as I am active. If I settle down i will stay bare, but snuggle under a soft throw to read or watch tv.

I think your mindset has a lot to do with your comfortable temp range. If you are convinced you will freeze you will,

On a related note , One of my pet peeves is the number of people that concerns themselves with my body temp. My habit of wearing shorts well into November and at the first hint of spring come late Feb is often met with " aren't you cold?" To which I so want to reply " I am 50 something years old and have a 4 yrs college degree, I think I am smart enough to dress myself to be comfortable"

This post was edited

My personal limit is 18 degrees (Celsius of course), from that temperature upwards I tend to be naked as much as possible.

When the temperature drops below 18 I find it too chilly to be comfortable, so I use some light clothing (preferably cotton or linnen). Of course I'm using the heater, but unfortunately I'm living in an older apartment from the 60's, so the isolation is not what it should/could be...

This post was edited

My granny told us she had some Scottish ancestors. So I have at least a remote tie to Scotland.
How comfortable I am at any particular temp depends on humidity, wind speed, and my level of activity. It also depends on level of body heat generation. Some people tend to generate more than others. And those with more fat can probably take more cold, since fat is a poor conductor of heat. (so if yer overweight don't be too upset, there are a few benefits)

If I'm not exercising and the wind is blowing pretty good, it can be in the 70's F and I'll be chilly. But if the wind is not blowing and I'm working or hiking, I can be quite comfortable in 50's F. 40's it's getting marginal, need good strong sun and no wind to stay out for any long term. As it gets lower than that the time out naked gets increasingly shorter.

Also a big difference between very humid cold and dry cold. Humid cold pulls body heat much faster and feels far colder than dry cold at the same temp.

This post was edited

Environmental conditions determine the comfort level along with the amount of moisture on the skin. A temp of 75 with high humidity and no wind have me very uncomfortable, especially when clothed. Add some breeze on bare skin and I can tolerate another 10 degrees or so. Going the other way the activity level is the key point. Seventy can be too cool in the shade while sedentary. Add sun and it can be comfortable down into the 50's. Get active and that temp can go much colder. I've taken the trash to the street while nude in temperatures well below freezing with several inches of snow on the ground. My heated floors really feel good after that.

This post was edited

I suppose I'm aware now of temperatures it feels very natural to be nude. Today is a classic summers day, and it feel great and relaxed. Other days I'm kind of more aware of being naked because maybe I'm trying to force the practicality of it a bit just for the sake of it. Was pissing it down yesterday, so wore clothes at home for the first time in months. I enjoyed the change, but it feels even better to be back to being naked today.

This post was edited

I can be comfortable totally naked in some pretty low temperatures outdoors, mostly because my subcutaneous layer provides a lot of insulation. I can handle as low as 50F when it's cloudy or even as low as 40F with it's sunny comfortably. In fact, it's even crisp and refreshing for me to work outside naked in such low temperatures.

This post was edited

I have lower blood pressure and tend to get cold hands and feet. My doctor even advised me to eat salty snacks. Therefore, I prefer clothes up to about 80 F / 27 C if I'm sedentary, but as long as I'm moving my blood flows and I stay warm at cooler temps.
I've seen Wim Hof videos about training for cold and believe there's something to it, but I'm not there yet.

This post was edited

I live in Scotland. It's famously not the warmest of places. We've been pretty lucky recently, but now it's getting cooler again. The other day me and my wife were having dinner. She isn't a nudist, and was wearing two t-shirts, a hoody, leggings and wooly socks. I was naked. She asked me if I was cold, and I have to say, I really wasn't. I felt kind of cool and fresh, but I wasn't uncomfortable in the least. The weird thing is, that when I am dressed, say, at the office, I can easily find myself reaching for a jumper in similar conditions. I began to wondering if I experience temperature differently when I am nude, or maybe I would rather be cool and nude than warm and dressed. What are other experiences? Does it have to be warm for you to be undressed? Does it not bother you? What's your limit? Do you have ways of dealing with the cold that don't involved getting dressed or pumping your central heating?

I am often nude in the house while my wife is wearing two layers.

This post was edited