Sleeping naked in a heat wave

Has anyone seen this ridiculous article that suggests that you will be cooler feeling wearing pyjamas because they absorb sweat. I just tested that theory an know that having clothes between me and the evaporating air does not make you feel cooler.

www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sleeping-naked-makes-you...

This topic was edited
RE:Sleeping naked in a heat wave

I was always told the same, found it to be really total BS way back. The evaporating moisture cools the cloth, not the skin. I prefer the evaporation to cool my skin, any little bit of air is welcomed!

This post was edited

I agree.

This post was edited

And there was another article on Yahoo yesterday right below this one that said that sleeping naked was a good way to stay cool.

This post was edited

People make claims on theoretical hypothesis without real life testing. or they will do their testing in one climate, and make their claims assuming it applies everywhere, when it really doesn't at all. In real life, anything that limits air movement near the skin reduces transfer of temperature. Higher humidity causes faster heat transfer, Which is very notable when it's cold and humid. Chilly and humid feels a whole lot colder than the same chilly and dry. But then there's evaporative cooling that has to be considered. That makes it hard to keep cool when it's warm and the humidity is high. Anything next to the skin feels hotter than nothing. Humid heat feels a lot hotter than dry heat due to evaporative cooling when it's dry. (just have to keep drinking more) In the USA the South east is predominantly warm and humid in summer and it's the hardest place to keep cool. any garments at all are quite uncomfortable, no matter what wicking they can do, they just get soaked with perspiration and make it feel hotter because the air isn't passing right across the skin surface.

So yah, I think saying PJ's are cooler when it's hot is nonsense. naked and a fan is best if ya don't use air conditioning.

This post was edited

What it doesnt say is your body learns to self regulate for heat and sweat evaporates of the body easier than it wicks of clothes

This post was edited

I have noticed this as well. Over the last couple years I have spent a lot more time nude and have noticed I have developed a notably wider comfort range of weather. Our bodies are amazing in their ability to adapt, if we allow it to happen. Being barefoot in winter is a vivid example. Folks that wear shoes all the time cannot comprehend that I am actually comfortable, but I am!

This post was edited

Being barefoot in winter is a vivid example. Folks that wear shoes all the time cannot comprehend that I am actually comfortable, but I am!

Definitely experienced that as well

This post was edited

I have noticed this as well. Over the last couple years I have spent a lot more time nude and have noticed I have developed a notably wider comfort range of weather. Our bodies are amazing in their ability to adapt, if we allow it to happen. Being barefoot in winter is a vivid example. Folks that wear shoes all the time cannot comprehend that I am actually comfortable, but I am!

I agree going nude so much I have a wider range of temps that I am comfortable in than someone who puts a coat on the first time the temp dips below 72deg. Trouble is people see me in shorts and always ask " aren't you cold? ". I so want to respond " I am 50 some years old and have a college degree so I know how to dress myself to be comfy "

This post was edited

I did read that article, and even if it was right, I'd still sleep naked. I can't go back to sleeping with clothes on, even if it was beneficial to me.

This post was edited

Trouble is people see me in shorts and always ask " aren't you cold? ". I so want to respond " I am 50 some years old and have a college degree so I know how to dress myself to be comfy "

That is SO true and made me blow my drink all over myself! Thanks for the laugh!

This post was edited