RE:Sun tanning questions

My dermatologist STILL has me under sun lamps. I've gotten careful doses of sun my whole life to keep eczema under control, at the doctor's, in natural sun, in tanning booths (a BAD idea - those are the most dangerous wavelengths, and not even very helpful for skin problems) and now under a narrowband UV lamp. I don't use sunscreen at all. When I've gotten the amount of sun I want, I stop. Much easier to control the exposure that way.

This post was edited

My doctors know Im a nudist and/or I generally get a pretty good tan each summer. They have said its not really the tanning its sunburn that is bad. One even agreed with something Id read about how SPF has been overblown by marketing people and how sun is actually good. Each spring I start laying out 15 minutes per side several times a week by June I can easily do a hour or more per side with no sunburn and no lotion or anything. The stupid thing on SPF it that its xx times the bodys own level of protection. So SPF50 is 50 times more than normal thus if you were to spend 30 minutes in the sun with nothing, you could theoretically spend 25 hour with SPF 50. There are few places where you can get 25 hours continuous sun and those places tend to be a bit cold. When planning to be in the sun I look at how much of a tan Ive built and how long I expect to be out in the sun, if I my tan is such that I can do an hour or so and I expect to be in the sun for say 4-5 hours then I will use an SPF 4 or SPF 8

This post was edited

Another factor to consider when using sunscreen is how much of it gets sweated off. The directions generally say to reapply if that happens. If I am in the sun, I am sweating. Working outside of the house, mowing the lawn, tending the garden, making improvements to the house, etc.. I try to work in the shade as much as possible, and when I mow I use patterns that alternate between sun and shade.
I don't use sunscreen, and I try not to get any burn by just limiting my exposure. I do have tan lines, or tan blends to be more accurate on my arms, legs, and neck.

This post was edited

Another factor to consider when using sunscreen is how much of it gets sweated off. The directions generally say to reapply if that happens. If I am in the sun, I am sweating. Working outside of the house, mowing the lawn, tending the garden, making improvements to the house, etc.. I try to work in the shade as much as possible, and when I mow I use patterns that alternate between sun and shade.I don't use sunscreen, and I try not to get any burn by just limiting my exposure. I do have tan lines, or tan blends to be more accurate on my arms, legs, and neck.
None on my arms and neck since I rarely wear a shirt outdoors in warm weather.
I do have a line at the waist and a fade along my thighs.

This post was edited

Oil vs Cream? It is a dilemma I face everyday when it's time to spank the monkey.

This post was edited