Public Nudity in the Middle Ages

Nudity in public was normal in the Midddle Ages. These pictures (downloaded from Quora) are from 14th century engravings and tapestries. After the Protestant Reformation nudity was considered sinful and was banned everywhere!
The fourth picture is an oil painting showing an idyllic scene.

This topic was edited
RE:Public Nudity in the Middle Ages

interesting post

This post was edited

Awesome!

This post was edited

Another example of religious dictatorship!

This post was edited

Was it the Protestant Reformation that did us in?

This post was edited

I'd have to do more research into what the artist was trying to depict, before I accepted those as scenes of everyday life.

This post was edited

@Gentle Photographer I agree with you. I dont see these as depictions of every day life during that time period. I would have to know more about these paintings.@DaveSmooth You downloaded them from Quora. What was the text that with with them? This would be helpful to know. Thank You!

This post was edited

Yes a few of them seem to be 'ceremonial' - but all the same it seems that being nude was not the sin that we have come to know in modern history

This post was edited

Apparently so.

This post was edited

It was posted on Quora in reply to the question "What is the most surprising thing about the Middle Ages?" (or something to that effect). Unfortunately I deleted the text after reading it, as I always do, so as not to clog up my inbox.

This post was edited

That last picture is clearly post-Medieval. I'd tag it as the "Romantic" style popular in the late 18th and early 19th centuries.

I might also note that there is a bit of prudery even in those four pictures. I see bare breasts but very few female crotches, and no penises or labial clefts. Note how those details are obscured by angles of sight and carefully placed hands.

As for whether the Reformation introduced a new hostility to nudity, I don't think it did. If It had done so, I would suspect that nudity would continue to be more prevalent in countries that remained firmly Roman Catholic, and I don't see any evidence of that.

It's certainly true that the introduction of Christianity to populations that formerly had no experience with it was a huge factor in creating that taboo. But in the Americas, this process was began in the 16th century by the Roman Catholic missionaries, who were not influenced in the least by the Reformation.

This post was edited