Nudist experience from the male perspective

It's easy to take your clothes off, but it's hard to shed the preconceived notions we have from living most of our time in non-nudist culture. In this society, even if you're a hardcore nudist, I think that going without clothing really does sort of tend to symbolize a removal of barriers. And some of our barriers are there to protect us, or at least make us feel safe. A lot of people are going to feel, subconsciously, more "at risk" without those barriers in place.
I think the best thing to do in naturist/nudist/clothing option environments is for everyone to do their best to be worthy of other people's trust, to be courteous, and to make them feel like they don't have to feel threatened. The more people who make people feel okay with trusting (especially strangers) around their naked body, the easier it is for everyone to let their hair down.
To me, a lot of what I like about being nude around others has little to do with how many clothes I'm not wearing. To begin with, I'm the same person with or without clothing. It's about the consensual trust level with the people around me. At a place where I can be nude in public, I feel like it gives me a little taste of some possible time in the future where people don't have to feel uncomfortable going among even strangers without extra barriers.
But another thing that I think is important, to keep people from feeling uncomfortable in nude venues, or worrying about what the other naked people are really thinking, is for that person to be confident. You really aren't a different person just because you're not wearing clothes. I like to think that when I'm not wearing clothes that I haven't changed, and my values havent change either.

This topic was edited
RE:Nudist experience from the male perspective

Nicely said.

This post was edited

A beautiful statement of the importance of offering the gift of consideration to fellow nudists, helping them to feel safe.

This post was edited

It's easy to take your clothes off, but it's hard to shed the preconceived notions we have from living most of our time in non-nudist culture. In this society, even if you're a hardcore nudist, I think that going without clothing really does sort of tend to symbolize a removal of barriers. And some of our barriers are there to protect us, or at least make us feel safe. A lot of people are going to feel, subconsciously, more "at risk" without those barriers in place.I think the best thing to do in naturist/nudist/clothing option environments is for everyone to do their best to be worthy of other people's trust, to be courteous, and to make them feel like they don't have to feel threatened. The more people who make people feel okay with trusting (especially strangers) around their naked body, the easier it is for everyone to let their hair down.To me, a lot of what I like about being nude around others has little to do with how many clothes I'm not wearing. To begin with, I'm the same person with or without clothing. It's about the consensual trust level with the people around me. At a place where I can be nude in public, I feel like it gives me a little taste of some possible time in the future where people don't have to feel uncomfortable going among even strangers without extra barriers.But another thing that I think is important, to keep people from feeling uncomfortable in nude venues, or worrying about what the other naked people are really thinking, is for that person to be confident. You really aren't a different person just because you're not wearing clothes. I like to think that when I'm not wearing clothes that I haven't changed, and my values havent change either.

Agree with your post.

What some textile friends fail to realize is that, we are the same people naked, as we are clothed. When they find out we are nudists, they automatically think we are perverts and deviants. We asked them if they felt that way about us when we're dressed and around them. It makes them stop and think.

We try to be friendly to all but it's become more difficult these past several years. Even within the nudist/naturist community, people have become much more vocal and share their views and opinions much more than they used to. The real them comes out and not all people, even nudists, are as friendly or accepting of others as some think.

I think that making people at nude venues feel comfortable goes both ways. When there tends to be more clothed people at a nude venue, the nudists can become uncomfortable. It was never supposed to be that way but as of late, it's something that's plagued our club.

Dropping your clothes along with barriers is the reason we are much closer to our nudist friends than our textile friends. We've dropped the facade with the clothes when we're with our nudist friends. They are much more honest and real and when things are fine, they admit it, share it, talk about it openly. Textile friends will hide it and change the subject when you begin talking about it. We also see a much more confident female in our nudist female friends than our textile friends.

That's been my perspective as a male nudist.

This post was edited

My perspective as a male nudist is that we, the collective we, reap what we sow. But it takes only one of us to do the wrong thing and we are all branded the same way. This sadly continues to reoccur.
The general view from non nudists is that our community is dominated by middle aged western European extracted men. And they aren't wrong either. Even me expressing an opinion here reinforces that fact and despite I stand for an alternative.
We must support a more diverse representation of the nudist community and help give the minorities amongst their voice.

This post was edited

But another thing that I think is important, to keep people from feeling uncomfortable in nude venues, or worrying about what the other naked people are really thinking, is for that person to be confident.

This might seem like just common sense; but along with confidence I would add "eye contact." I've seen my wife's (as well as other women's) reaction to others "breaking it" - by letting their eyes wander over their naked bodies while interacting - to not underestimate its importance.
Whenever I encounter someone new at the resort and an interaction ensues, I make it a point to strictly look at their faces; no matter what "position" they happen to be in. Even if they do not reciprocate that courtesy or seem to care, I maintain eye contact.

In demonstrating confidence - by being naturally and unashamedly naked in front of them (while respecting their personal space) - and them seeing that I'm entirely focused on the words coming out of their mouths rather than their body; the hope of course is that they feel comfortable with the interaction, and that the nudity - although omnipresent - is not the focus. Normalizing nudity is the goal; and they can't "get there" if you make them self-conscious.

This post was edited