Free Hiking App?

I have seen an advertisement on Instagram a few times now. It is a collaboration between outdooronline.com, bare naked granola, and a new hiking app called "Gaia GPS" I downloaded the app, it looks interesting but can not figure out how to find the trails that the outdooronline.com site is trying to promote.

The page on outdooronline.com give basic suggestions and how-to on free hiking, even some videos, using sunscreen, and cover ups and what to do if you walk up on someone. It is probably the most mainstream source of information about free hiking, but I feel like it is a heavy handed advertisement for bare naked granola.

The website suggests that free hikers use an emoji-based code to mark trails that are and are not friendly for free hiking. (bear/peach/check; bear/peach/red X)

Has anyone else seen this? I've tried the app and can't figure out where these trails are or anything about the emoji code. Let me know, this seems like an interesting way to share information about free hiking and something more main stream.

This topic was edited
RE:Free Hiking App?

I was at the AANR convention and the Executive Director brought up the page and showed the video. I installed the app but havent found any trails with the emojis either. I would have thought it was a joke, but AANR is involved and says its real.

This post was edited

Reading the ads, this is new and just starting. As their reviewers fo the trails they are adding the notation. It look (to me) that any trail hiker could add them

This post was edited

I downloaded the app and had the same experience, so far.

This post was edited

There are videos here:
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/hiking-and-backpacking/naked-trails/
and an article here:
https://www.kelloggstore.com/hikebearnaked
that describe the marketing campaign. The data are user-driven and the results are probably as reliable - so far - as any other web-based resource.

This post was edited

I spent a few hours combing thru various hike locations on Gaia. I saw NO EMOJIS OF ANY KIND. So I emailed tech support. I realize this may be new(d) but still, the answer was they have a team grading various hikes and noting the nude friendliness or not with emojis left in review section. I looked at many locations two of which ive hiked nude. No reviews or none with emojis. It seems to me that at this point you have to know where nude hikes are ok then find an affirming review for support. There is currently no way to search for nude hikes! This makes no sense! Frustrating, useless comes to mind. I also thought perhaps I can leave a review indicating nude hikes at the two locations i went, i couldn't figure that out either:(. So on with the hunt! Hopefully they will improve functionality soon.

This post was edited

After seeing the marketing campaign, I was excited that we may FINALLY have a freehiking app. Alas, my experience is the same as Sunseekerjim. While there may be a crowd-sourced set of nudist-friendly trails, it's only going to happen if we all add to it. This is, after all, a marketing campaign for a naked-branded product and not a nudist-oriented tool for freehiking. The idea of nakedness may attract consumers but the ides of adding emojis is not a servi ce they are providing for the nudist community. Sex sells, as they say, though we know this is not about sex - many will look at this as appealing to the sensational and be attracted to it. Sigh.

This post was edited

Like you suggest, the idea needs work. I would be glad to contribute, when I can. Hope it improves with time.

This post was edited

I'm sad to say I too can't figure out this app but since misery loves company, happy to see that I'm not alone. Can anyone tell me where you find the reviews?

This post was edited