RE:Spring Hikes

I am in the process of planning some spring hikes and I am looking for some suggestions. I have found late May early June to be too buggy, so trying to plan something late April and early May. For the first couple hikes, I think distance should be shorter, maybe 5 miles plus or minus. this would allow us to start later when it is warmer and allows us to acclimate to longer summer hikes. Also, the hikes should be in the southern part of Vermont, again where it is warmer than the central and northern parts of the state. Lastly, given the fact that this is still mud season, need to find trails that are drier than others. So, with that said, does anyone have any suggestions on trails that meet this criterion? I was looking at the West River Trail in Brattleboro, about 7 miles classified as easy and on the banks of the West River, so lots of sunshine. Also looking at the Long Trail near Bennington to the top of Harmon Hill about 4 miles classified a s hard, steep the first 1/2 mile, the levels out. The steepness will increase cardio and help keep us warm and there is a clear sunny meadow on the top of the hill. Any feedback would be appreciated.

This post was edited

I hiked Deer Run Trail in Newfane (VT) today - no bugs, no mud. Wouldnt say it was challenging but definitely a nice 4.2 mile ramble that would qualify as a stretch your legs kind of excursion. No view at the summit, though.

This post was edited

I am in the process of planning some spring hikes ... looking at the West River Trail in Brattleboro ... the Long Trail near Bennington to the top of Harmon Hil ....

I can vouch for the West River Trail as I hiked it for its entire length then took the loop up Black Mountain. Anywhere along the AT/LT in southern Vermont is good but access roads will be very muddy and may be impassable until June. Somerset Reservoir and the Catamount Trail (a solstice hike a few years ago) is very nice. Ascutney is a nice loop hike and will likely be dry.

This post was edited

First hike of the season is posted under events, hope good weather and a good turnout

This post was edited