National Parks

What's the best national park for a naked hike? I've done one in Arches. It was fun and I have another one planned for there. If you know where to look, you can find places to stay out of trouble. Canyonlands should be good. I might try Death Valley in a couple of weeks.

This topic was edited
RE:National Parks

What's the best national park for a naked hike? I've done one in Arches. It was fun and I have another one planned for there. If you know where to look, you can find places to stay out of trouble. Canyonlands should be good. I might try Death Valley in a couple of weeks.

In DV, there are tons of trails to hike naked but the more scenic, more popular are too touristy for naked hiking. When you get there, go to the visitor's center and ask for a Back Country Roads and Trail map. Get away from all the tourists and enjoy DV naturally. I do on every visit.

This post was edited

Also, look into Joshua Tree Nat'l Park. Lots and lots of remote areas to camp and stay naked, along with naked hiking.

This post was edited

I did Joshua Tree a couple of years ago, but it was chilly, and I didn't really get a chance to get naked. It was on my mind, however. I'll watch the temps as I head that way.

This post was edited

We live fairly close to Joshua Tree and have never been. Why? I'm not sure. We tend to visit Anza Borrego State Park and Death Valley Nat'l Park quite a bit. We're fortunate that we are retired and have the ability to visit during the week when there aren't many people out in these areas. It gives us the freedom to get out on some of the trails and explore nature naturally.

Most times, I drive out to these places naked. I have a pair of shorts to slip on to fuel up before we arrive at a trail head. We're beginner hikers but accomplished 4x4'ers. Once out in some remote areas, we'll get out and walk around or take a short hike up a hill to catch a view. We've not done any truly long hikes. I think our longest was 3 miles in and 3 miles out, but we were with family and clothed.

Had always planned on visiting AZ and doing the Tanque Verde Falls hike but haven't been there yet.

This post was edited

If you enjoy hiking with no more than boots or sandals* on, if you want to go somewhere surprisingly accessible to do it, and a 15 to 20 minute hike to a small sandy beach sounds attractive, it is very hard to beat the Upper Tanque Verde Falls trail. (A bit off topic 'cause it's not in a national park, but who cares :)

* Decent sandals are one thing; fancy "fashion" sandals or (even worse) flip flops are something else again. Do yourself a favor; don't hazard turning a nice hike into an unpleasant, even painful, lesson in wearing sensible footwear.

This post was edited

I love walking barefoot on nature trails if it's smooth and I have a pair of minimalist shorts if I see someone walking near.

This post was edited

Off topic again but I often do long hikes in minimalist sandals. I have one picture in my profile I thought about sending to the sandal company, but chicken out. Regarding Joshua Tree, there are a number of good 4WD roads for getting away from the crowds. Canyonlands is the same except the 4WD crowd can be the crowd in the Moab area.

This post was edited

I checked out that pic of you in those sandals. Yikes, those are minimalist! haha

We done short walks on trails. Our favorite place to do this was DeAnza Springs Resort, east of San Diego. The "resort" has not gone textile. When we did visit to hike into the Anza Borrego State Park, I wore Teva's. Only issue was the small rocks that got stuck and I had to stop periodically to get them out of my shoes.

Joshua Tree seems to be the place for me to visit soon. I'd love to find some space out there to spend a couple of days without others around so I can stay naked the entire time.

This post was edited

If you enjoy hiking with no more than boots or sandals* on, if you want to go somewhere surprisingly accessible to do it, and a 15 to 20 minute hike to a small sandy beach sounds attractive, it is very hard to beat the Upper Tanque Verde Falls trail. (A bit off topic 'cause it's not in a national park, but who cares :)

Sounds pretty/awesome! Looks amazing in your photos. What times of year are the falls active? I'm in Tucson for the gem show in late Jan-early Feb. Wonder if it might be too cold that time of year.

This post was edited

What times of year are the falls active? I'm in Tucson for the gem show in late Jan-early Feb. Wonder if it might be too cold that time of year.
I've had the same question. I know mid-summer is bad, but what about mid-winter? I might make it to the gem and mineral show this year. I have an Estate collection to sell.

This post was edited