The time I broke my hip

In May, 2005 I was enjoying my last month of teaching high school English. Little did I know that Mother's Day would see my 27 years of teaching would come to a crashing end. I fell and broke my right hip. In the hospital surgery was done to set the right hip bone back into place with a steel rod for strength. I remained in the hospital for just over a month before being transferred to a rehabilitation center where I would learn to walk again. Often when the physical therapist entered the room he would help me to get dressed because even there I slept nude. My stay at the rehab center lasted for over a month until I was discharged to go home with my wife who hadmarried me just a few months earlier. Needless to say the staff (nurses, doctors, CNAs, aides and others) often saw me nude because I refused to wear their stupid gown. My being naked did not bother them at all; they soon accepted it and one nurse even told me that there wereother patients who lived nude like me. Now I am fully retired.

This topic was edited
RE:The time I broke my hip

I think this is not the experience many of us have had - I've had doctors who were very uncomfortable with nudity.

This post was edited

If nud ity makes them uncomfortable why they took up medicine and how they learned anatomy ?

This post was edited

I've been admitted to hospital naked after drowning myself in a swimming pool. My nudity was of almost zero importance. As I was loaded onto the air ambulance I was told I had a 50% chance of survival (apparently once water has entered the lungs they can self drown) but I thought that was better odds than 5 minutes earlier. And the first thing that happened in intensive care was for a young female nurse to insert a catheter into my penis and up into my bladder. With all the monitoring wires and intravenous tubes I was not getting up for a pee. Being naked made my stay more pleasant and gave the medics easier access to the patient. One of the greatest experiences was a bed bath (by a young, blond, attractive female nurse).

My friend was admitted to hospital naked a few years later. He'd dislocated a shoulder and suffered cuts and grazes in a fall.

In both these cases our clothes arrived sometime later.

This post was edited

I think this is not the experience many of us have had - I've had doctors who were very uncomfortable with nudity.

My dermatologist seems to be one of them.

This post was edited

I think this is not the experience many of us have had - I've had doctors who were very uncomfortable with nudity.My dermatologist seems to be one of them.

That should be your EX dermatologist

This post was edited

I don't think it is a matter of nudity being problematic to the individual doctor as much as it may be office or hospital policy. I've recently had problems with my knee which required removal of my pants for examination. With both male and female practitioners, I've been given paper shorts to put on over my underwear or a cover was placed across my lap. When I wear my exercise shorts there does not seem to be any problem. Frankly, I believer that they are protecting themselves from sexual abuse accusations. As a side note, the crotch of those paper shorts ripped out as soon as the exam began.

This post was edited

I think this is not the experience many of us have had - I've had doctors who were very uncomfortable with nudity.My dermatologist seems to be one of them.

My issue exactly - I've made the comments to my derm about running around naked in the sun being what's gotten me into the mess with skin cancer, yet he still tells me to strip down to my underwear. I think nudity makes most doctors uncomfortable because even though it should be clinical to them they too have been brought up in the same society with the same conventional thoughts about nudity.

This post was edited

I think this is not the experience many of us have had - I've had doctors who were very uncomfortable with nudity.My dermatologist seems to be one of them.My issue exactly - I've made the comments to my derm about running around naked in the sun being what's gotten me into the mess with skin cancer, yet he still tells me to strip down to my underwear. I think nudity makes most doctors uncomfortable because even though it should be clinical to them they too have been brought up in the same society with the same conventional thoughts about nudity.

My dermatologist also know that I get sun where most people don't and staff still tells me to strip to my underwear and when the doctor arrives he does a check of all of my visible skin and then pulls the underwear down or to the side one section at a time without removing it.

This post was edited

I don't think it is a matter of nudity being problematic to the individual doctor as much as it may be office or hospital policy. I've recently had problems with my knee which required removal of my pants for examination. With both male and female practitioners, I've been given paper shorts to put on over my underwear or a cover was placed across my lap. When I wear my exercise shorts there does not seem to be any problem. Frankly, I believer that they are protecting themselves from sexual abuse accusations. As a side note, the crotch of those paper shorts ripped out as soon as the exam began.

I had a hip x-ray once and was also given paper shorts to put over my underwear.

This post was edited

As nudists we tend to be more clean than most.
This seems more a standard of maintaining a sterile/clean environment for the provider. As such they usually try to maintain a standard procedure for staff to follow.

This post was edited