Melanoma and Nudity

In December 2016, I was successfully treated for a malignant melanoma (skin cancer) and have been strongly advised by my dermatologist to limit my exposure to the sunshine. Melanoma is to be taken seriously, as in some forms it can spread throughout your body. I am curious to have other fellow melanoma nudists comment or chat with me about this.

This topic was edited
RE:Melanoma and Nudity

A dozen or more years ago, my wife had a small patch on her forearm that would not heal. We took her to the dermatologist and they biopsied it and had to remove it and the surrounding skin tissue. A month or so later, another spot showed up and they removed that one as well. By this time, we'd switched dermatologists from the male (husband) doctor to the female (wife). Almost immediately, the female doctor asked my wife to strip and she did an thorough exam of every nook and cranny. When she was done, she looked at me and said, "you're next. take off all your clothes, I'll be right back." She examined me as well and then said to us, "I have another patient that is also a nudist and comes for an exam every 6 months. I would like both of you to also come and visit me twice a year."

Neither of us told her we were nudists but figure she could tell by the lack of tan lines. After the exam, I asked, "how did you know we were nudists?" She replied that our lack of tan lines on areas of the body that typically don't see sun and our comfort with being naked with others. She often refers to us as her favorite patients! She still asks both of us to limit the amount of sun we enjoy. My wife is particularly careful and is always under an umbrella. We continue to get these check ups and continue to enjoy some sun but not near as much as we used to.

Our son in law's step father has had a Melanoma and is extremely care in the sun. Most times, when we are at a day time function, he's inside or under an umbrella or EZ Up. Because of that, our son in law is extremely conscientious about applying sunscreen to himself and our grandkids. Regular visits to the dermatologist are a good thing for those in our lifestyle.

This post was edited

I had a spot on my face a couple of years back that didn't heal which was subsequently diagnosed, after biopsy, as squamous cell skin cancer which is less dangerous than Melanoma. I have been on 6 month checks since that time and likewise get a full body check. So far I have not had any recurrence. I spent a lot of time in the sun during my life, both in pleasure and in my military service. I certainly enjoy nudism but more than that I can't imagine life without my time on the water fishing nor my time in the fields hunting. Most of the things I enjoy most in life are done in the outdoors which in turn means sunshine. I am 71 years old. When I look around at the others my age who are still doing the things I am doing I don't see many. It may be the wrong attitude but I figure at 71 I probably don't have that many years left anyway so why limit my activities? If I do get a recurrence they can cut that one out as well and if they can't, well, eventually I am going to die of something, right?

This post was edited

I grew up on the beach. Was almost born on the beach. I started surfing when I was 9 and still do. Also was a carpenter for 15 years and almost always out in the sun. Back then we didn't use sunscreen. The girls used baby oil to get a deeper tan. Have been using sunscreen religiously for the last 15 years or so. And always put it on our kids.

My first skin cancer didn't show up until maybe 3-4 years ago. (I'm turning 60 this year). My primary care doctor removed it, sent it off to the lab. It was squamous cell. He also burned a couple off that were small. Last January at my annual physical I showed him a sore on my upper arm that wouldn't heal and seemed to have recently gotten a lot worse. He removed it and a lot of tissue around it. about the size of a half dollar. Took 6 stitches. Sent it to the lab and came back as a basel cell but very aggressive. Not only growing wider but going deep. He hadn't gotten it all and sent me to a Mohs Dr. who had his own lab in house thus could make sure in one visit that he got it all. Took 3 tries at it but finally got it all. Was about the size of a tennnis ball cut in half when he was finished. Took 6 stitches inside and 12 outside I believe. Was a very long time before I could get back to working out or using the arm for much. Now I'm on a constant watch for things popping up. But as my wife said it probably came from a long time ago. I enjoy the sun tremendously but take it in smaller doses. A tan is equivalent to about an spf of 5. Plus the vitamin D!

This post was edited

I have heard that skin cancer has more of a dietary cause than sun, Like saturated fat in the diet. I've also heard that a preparation of bloodroot and zinc oxide will kill it, (or blood root alone but it's less powerful) Once it's killed it will gradually separate from the skin and fall out, and then the hole will heal up. Something to investigate perhaps. But on larger ones it could make quite a hole that would need attention once it separates. The only personal experience is my brother using it on a mole on his arm and it killed and fell out. Not supposed to harm good flesh cells, and it didn't on him, just kills the abnormal cell growth. He used just blood root. ---------Reuben T.

This post was edited

My wife has had a couple chunks taken out of her leg and shoulder. Mostly caused by some very bad sun damage from when she was 12. Now, at the beach, it's sunblock, reapplied sunblock, and a portable sun shelter.

Exactly the same here! Di isn't about to give up on nudism and being out in the sun BUT ... with maximum protection! Sunshades of 50 SPF or higher, sunscreen and reapplied sunscreen. I'm so lucky that she's still willing and careful and that I'm the one that gets to apply the sunscreen ... over and over again! :D

This post was edited

I also just had two sites cut off of me. It sucks because I have just started being a backyard nudist when I can.

This post was edited

vegetarian here as well, and no hint of any problem. I'm 51 and can take all the sun the sky can throw my way most of the time, until mid summer when it really gets too hot and have to seek some shade. Never use creams of any kind. As far as I know I'm a general mix of all European heritage. But certain hints indicate some american indian genes from somewhere. Like my resistance to sunburn for one.

This post was edited

Your experiences at being so open in front of the dermatologist made me smile. Although I take my two episodes of basil cell and the far more concerning invasive melanoma as very serious, I must say that as a nudist I absolutely look forward to the full body exam. For me, and I suspect like many of you, it's just another excellent opportunity to get naked in front of someone, and I must admit I actually look forward to my annual appointment with the dermatologist and the other 6 month appointment with the cancer clinic folks. My doctor hasn't yet commented on my lack of tan lines, but she has commented that while my comfort in being totally nude in her presence is fully understood and appreciated by her, she still has to maintain her own standards and professionalism in her work with me, the patient. And so, I indulge her by keeping partially covered, but I must admit I fold that beautiful paper sheet as small as possible in order to maintain my strong feelings of being nude, or at least as close to fully nude as possible. Cancer is a serious business, but I feel one way to keep things in perspective and to find some enjoyment in it is to enjoy the opportunities to shed the clothing and to feel very proud and natural in doing so.

This post was edited

My dermatologist knows that I sun and swim nude, but still wants me to leave my underwear on and just pulls it down one area at a time for a quick peek. I have had 2 squamous and several basal, but no melanoma.

This post was edited

I have had two skin cancer surgeries I the last 4 years, one basal-cell and the other squamous-cell. They were detected early and quickly removed with little care after removal. Since then I always use a sun screen and stay out of the sun. No more sun bathing for me!

This post was edited