Birthdays?????

I have a question about birthdays no one seems to be able to answer satisfactorily. Why is it that when a child is one year old, people claim they are having their FIRST birthday? When in fact it is actually a celebration of their birth a year ago, and should be considered as their SECOND birthday. It seems no one wants to count the actual day of birth as a birthday for some reason, when it is really the ONLY birthday they will ever have. The rest are just the ANNIVERSARY of the first one. I just recently turned 56, so it was my 57th birthday, to me. Why does no one want to count the original true birthday of anyone when considering how many have been had by the individual? Am I the only one to have noticed this short coming of counting all the birthdays of a person? Why is the first and most important one of all always left out of the count? Please enlighten me on this omission in the birthday count.

This topic was edited
RE:Birthdays?????

Apparently no one knows the answer to this.

This post was edited

Simple; our first birthday is when we are one year old. Our 57thy birthday is when we are 57 years old etc.. The day we were born is our zeroth birthday. I'm nearly 73 years old. Guess what my next birthday is.

This post was edited

We only have one birth day, the day we were born.

That is correct, so how come it is not included in the count? After all, that is the one that set the date for all the others to follow. It is the one that counts THE MOST, yet it is left out of the actual count. That is what I am trying to determine, why no one wants to consider the original/actual Birthday as one of the total.

This post was edited

The day we were born is our zeroth birthday.

No, I disagree. The day we are born is our first and in actuality ONLY BIRTHDAY. The rest are just a celebration of the FIRST one occurring. If the FIRST one when a person actually exits the womb never occurred, then the rest are inconsequential. So when a child is one year old to the day, then that SHOULD be referred to as their SECOND birthday, not first, because the first one happened a year ago.

This post was edited

Our birthday is when we are born. We start our first year of life. When we celebrate our first birthday we finish our first year of life and start our second one. And so on.

This post was edited