good book buying experience.

Last week I was poking around one of my favorite book stores,, Hyde Brothers in Fort Wayne. They have 10,000s used books in all categories tucked into every nook and cranny of the sprawling shop. I casually ask one of the staff what other authors I would enjoy if I liked Brad Thor's books. She admitted that action/thriller was not her genre, so she pointed me to another young man. Right away he took me to that area and began pointing out comparable authors. Brad Taylor was one he suggested. Being cheap I picked out the sole paperback book by Taylor. He pointed out that the author has written the books in a series and it would be best to read them in that order. I agreed , but pointed out that I was cheap and generally only bought paperback rather than the pricey hardback. The owner of the store overheard our conversation and offered to let me buy the first book in the series for the paperback price. Then added he would get me hooked on the author and he would make his money later. He also got online and printed off the entire list for me. Something that is often hard to determine by just reading the covers. The publishing companies don't want new readers to know that the book is part of a series. Deal! I am 80% the way thru the book, yep am hooked. Taylor's style brings back memories of Tom Clancy and his Jack Ryan stories. Fun to be served by a local merchant and not just an impersonal click.

This topic was edited
RE:good book buying experience.

i am going to read the series in the order the author intended. Today thanks to a newly discovered thrift store and a revisit to an old haunt , I found 3 for a whopping $4 total.

This post was edited

I miss good ol' brick and mortar bookstores!

This post was edited

I miss good ol' brick and mortar bookstores!

Yeah. I try to patronize the one that has survived in my small town but they rarely have the book I am looking for. They are good about ordering things. I haven't approched them about naked browsing yet.

Now looking for a new collection of short stories by Ann Beatty. Didn't much care for the NPR interview about it but the work still sounds interesting.

This post was edited