New Doctor Announced!

The New Doctor will be Jodie Whittaker. Thoughts?

I haven't seen anything she currently acts in. So, I have limited input. This is also the first female doctor. We have been slowly introduced to a possible female lead with the introduction of Missy. I'm guessing that was the testing group for Jodie to join. Personally, I don't care what gender the doctor will be. It could be an alien as far as I'm concerned. I just want them to have a good balance of silly with serious. I so enjoyed the fun of Tennant and Smith. I wish to see some of that come back. Capaldi has grown on me some, but still not the same.

I want to know, will the new female doctor have a male companion since it has always been the opposite sex? Or still have a female companion? Inquiring minds want to know.

I loved watching Bill as the companion to Capaldi. I'm sad she was upgraded and so sad she had such a short appearance. I wanted to see more of her. Plus, adding in the lesbian component was also exciting. She would have had a female side kick if it had continued on. Oh well.

The Christmas episode is way too far away... wish it was sooner!

This topic was edited
RE:New Doctor Announced!

I've only seen Jodie Whittaker in the TV series Broadchurch, but have been very impressed with her work on that show. A female Doctor will take some getting used to, but it's an exciting change.

I agree with you about Bill. I really liked her and wish she had more than one series/season with the Doctor.

This post was edited

I've had a lot of thoughts on this and in the end, I want to see what they do with it.

Two schools of thought.

1. If you view the doctor as a character who is portrayed and reinterpreted in different ways, by different actors in different times, settings and situations - like Shakespeare's Hamlet or Macbeth, then casting a woman is just a way to bring a fresh view and interpretation to the role. I think they are NOT just trying to be PC (as I've seen some say) I think they are saying -- "Okay, we've done this so much, how can we make this different and shake things up a bit? How can we keep this interesting and not the same as before?"

2. If you view the Doctor as a person, someone you know, not a "role" being played, but a character who is a certain individual with certain qualities -- then this is a little harder to deal with as it's a fundamental change to who is "WHO" in the mind of the viewer.

In either case, I'm looking forward to what they do with it and going to go in with an open mind. Has often taken me a little time to get used to a new doctor - I imagine this will be the same.

I just can't wait till Christmas. Hope we haven't seen the last of Bill just yet!

Also, just a note, the companions have not all, nor always, been females opposite a male Doctor, although you are correct that many (even most) have been.

This post was edited

I have to say I look forward to seeing a new doctor I wasn't the biggest fan of the last doctor but did like his companions. I am all for a female doctor I just hope that the new show runner isn't doing this for the ratings. I haven't seen anything the new doctor has been in but hell I never heard of Matt Smith before he took over and I really liked his run on the show.

This post was edited

Really looking fed to Jodies arrival
What Ive seen of her shes amazing!

Latest rumour is that itll be 10x60 minute shows rather than 12-13 x 45min ones

Filming is due next year so looking at Late next year being on our screens! Too long to wait! Looking fwd to new who at Christmas!

This post was edited