Why is religion a profile category?

I recently joined TN. Why is religion a profile category? Who should care about this? Am I supposed to choose, prefer or reject nudist friends based on their religion? Considering how hostile and shame-inducing most religions are regarding nudity, this inclusion seems very odd to me. And since when is atheism a religion (or scientology for that matter)? Moreover, there are so many permutations within a particular religion that it's simply meaningless and irrelevant to say "Christian" or "Catholic" or "Protestant" or "Muslim."

This topic was edited
RE: Why is religion a profile category?

Good question. Right up there with asking one's sexual orientation.

This post was edited

Why does anyone care how much I weigh?

This post was edited

So we can send the proper presents at the proper time.

This post was edited

Oh, fer Krisss-sake !!!
If you don't want to answer that one, ( or any one ) then don't !!
It's merely "something" to establish a commonality, or fitness of purpose. ( why are you here )
If you're here for "dating" then sexual orientation might be important. If that's not why you're here, it's probably irrelevant.
If religion and fundamental beliefs are important to you, then that category may have some bearing on the friends you choose. If not, it's probably irrelevant.
And so on.....

This post was edited

Moreover, there are so many permutations within a particular religion that it's simply meaningless and irrelevant to say "Christian" or "Catholic" or "Protestant" or "Muslim."
I would prefer an open reply block to a pull down menu such as we have here. I am Pagan but not Wiccan (the only Pagan permutation here and much like replacing Christian with only the choice of one particular denomination). I am therefore limited to answering Other under religious preference. If Christian was replaced with for example Roman Catholic what choice would a Baptist have than to answer Other, thus denying his Christianity.

This post was edited

Oh, fer Krisss-sake !!!If you don't want to answer that one, ( or any one ) then don't !!It's merely "something" to establish a commonality, or fitness of purpose. ( why are you here )If you're here for "dating" then sexual orientation might be important. If that's not why you're here, it's probably irrelevant.If religion and fundamental beliefs are important to you, then that category may have some bearing on the friends you choose. If not, it's probably irrelevant.And so on.....

I love having things explained to me.

This post was edited

Christians like hanging out with other Christians. Married couples prefer the company of married couples. Single men like the company of single women - it's all to do with the law of attraction. Different people like different things, and the same can be said within the nudist movement.
You make very broad generalizations. Fundamentalist Christians are not likely to have any affinity based on religion with professed Christians from liberal theological traditions. And the statement about single men liking the company of single women is heterosexist.
Like many of the comments posted here, I don't find particularly useful the information that's restricted to lists in drop down windows. I do appreciate the open-ended fields in the background and interests section of the profile. If more people took the time to complete that section, we'd know a lot more about each other!

This post was edited

I chuckleat the implication that protestants and Catholics are somehow differentiated for Christians! Don

This post was edited

Gerry turned his computer on, logged into this site, saw the topic thread, read the original post and the replies, cried out, "Not again!", sighed heavily, and moved on...

This post was edited

Birds of a feather flock together. Almost every other social networking site has that category. I might like to search for others with similar religious background to myself. If you aren't religious, or don't want pigeon-holed, then leave it blank.

This post was edited