The worst punishment for nudists...?

Six years ago, when I went into retirement at 62, something happened that wasn't my idea of a free life with lots of time on my hands. I was diagnosed with Plak Psoriasis.
It's a harmless disease, but it makes you look like a leper. I, with future plans to dive into outdoor nudism more than ever (after a life full of complexes and shame), was devastated.
Ever since, I haven't been to a nude beach or to other public recreation areas once.

It's one thing to overcome physical anomalies, like missing a limb, total baldness, vigilitis, hypertrichosis or plain ageing developments like varicose veins, a sagging tummy/manboobs, ill fitting dentures, etc. Many men older than 50-60 are no longer Channing Tatums, but we imperfects can be in good company. No reason to brick yourself up in the cellar, right? Also, the older you grow, the easier you get along with yourself. So I thought I was cured in that regard.

But psoriasis looks not only unbecoming, it looks contagious, like scabies. It isn't at all, I cannot even infect myself, it's an autoimmune problem, like alopecia areata. However, in public places like the supermarket, when I use my credit card, I try to hide my hands - the ones around me waiting for their turns won't see what digits I push - but they see my hands. T-shirts and other short sleeved shirts in the summer? Shorts and sandals without socks? Forget it. I'm painfully aware of getting stared at.
Forget also, a sex life. (I'm not married or living together which could make some difference) As a free gay man, dat life of freedom seems to be out of my reach as well.

It feels like I'm being punished for enjoying nudity or being sparsely clad. Nonsense, it's just bad luck. I should be grateful that it hasn't plagued me earlier in life!
Sigh.

I now wonder how other nudist/naturist victims deal with this....

This topic was edited
RE:The worst punishment for nudists...?

Get naked, get out there. People who have spent time naked around others have most likely seen psoriasis before. There is no need to hide. Have a quick direct and simple response in case anyone asks you about it (It's psoriasis - just an auto imune problem, nothing contagious) though I doubt anyone will ever ask. Remember to use a towel to protect any public use furniture you use (everyone should do this). And try not to think about it - the more conscious you are of it, the more others will notice it. Enjoy!!!

This post was edited

My father had Psoriasis and rarely went shirtless or even wore shorts instead of slacks because he didn't like the way he looked. Later in life, a doctor told him that sunlight might make the condition better, so he would tan in just gym shorts in the back yard, but still stayed fully dressed in public. At our first house, we had a neighbor with the same condition, and he would sun in his yard in a very small speedo, but got uncomfortable if someone stopped by when he was doing so.

This post was edited

At a nude swimming hole once, I watched a twenty-something man patiently explaining to an inquisitive six-or-seven-year old that the patches on his skin were called psoriasis, that you can't catch it from somebody else, and that the sun was good for it. He did this without apparent discomfort or annoyance. It seemed clear to me that he had to have worked to develop that - to address people's questions in a simple, un-fraught way and move on. I think it helps, in a nudist context, to note that sun IS good for psoriasis, whenever the topic comes up.

I know in my own life - I have a milder, related condition that is often noticeable - I really rely on the genuine usefulness of sun on my skin as a way of making the social space {no, this isn't about sex] to be the first or only one naked, the last one dressed, whenever that's not going to cause offense. It doesn't discourage me from getting naked at all.

This post was edited