Help! Perimenopausal Symptoms...

Hi Ladies,
Does anyone have any natural tips/remedies to help alleviate the symptoms of perimenopause that they would care to share? The two that are getting to me the most are hot flashes and insomnia. I'm looking for natural remedies as I am a total lightweight when it comes to pharmaceuticals. And I hate that draggy, drugged feeling when I wake up, can't seem to shake it. Even when I halve or quarter the dose.

I need sleep! Just one good night. All the way through. The hot flashes aren't so bad during the day, but at night, arghhh. Most of the time that is what is waking me up. Froze my dear husband out of bed one night when I threw all the blankets to the floor and threw the window open wide (it was 10 degrees out side). He asked what I was doing and I told him that I was about to spontaneously combust!

So, please, if you have any tips or suggestions or questions of your own, please post!

Sincerely,
Combusting in Connecticut

This topic was edited
RE: Help! Perimenopausal Symptoms...

Hi Ladies, Does anyone have any natural tips/remedies to help alleviate the symptoms of perimenopause that they would care to share? The two that are getting to me the most are hot flashes and insomnia. I'm looking for natural remedies as I am a total lightweight when it comes to pharmaceuticals. And I hate that draggy, drugged feeling when I wake up, can't seem to shake it. Even when I halve or quarter the dose. I need sleep! Just one good night. All the way through. The hot flashes aren't so bad during the day, but at night, arghhh. Most of the time that is what is waking me up. Froze my dear husband out of bed one night when I threw all the blankets to the floor and threw the window open wide (it was 10 degrees out side). He asked what I was doing and I told him that I was about to spontaneously combust! So, please, if you have any tips or suggestions or questions of your own, please post! Sincerely, Combusting in Connecticut
Ahhhh Haaaaaa, So that's why you go rolling about in the snow!

I have no problem with it myself! ....hehe

I do suffer from acute insomnia which has got even worse since I joined TN.
My body clock has got to be about 8 hrs SLOW, which means I don't get to sleep till about 6 or 7 am. It's a night mare! ( no pun etc) I stayed up all night (Friday)in an effort to re set it and get to sleep at a reasonable time last night, (Sat) but I ended up on here till 3 am again. Just woke up again at 12pm :( so that went out the window! I also find pills don't really work and make you feel so groggy the next day that you can't do anything. Used to be that pills for a few days would put me back on track, but not anymore. Only thing that I found to work is, go for a walk! yes, good dose of exercise helps, and all the usual things like no internet or brain work for a 2-3 hrs before bed time. NO TV / Computer in the bedroom. ONLY go to bed to sleep, if you can't sleep, GET UP, don't stay there. Keep to meal times. Write a To-Do list is a good one, stops you thinking about stuff. Ahhhhh! ...write Rhymes in your mind, that works, stops you thinking about other stuff, but it's annoying in the morning when you can't remember them :) I know all the stuff to do, problem is, I just don't do it!
But I guess it's the hot flushesthat are keeping you up and other than a good roll in the snow, I don't know what to suggest :(

Not helping much! ...am I MUM! (hehe, do you remember that add?)

Sorry!!!

Phil.

This post was edited

LOL! You are multifaceted - Phil, Steve and now a lady to boot! But your suggestions are all great. We've no t.v. or computer in the bedroom. As for brain work, lack of sleep is making me feel a little brain dead! Nothing but ice here to walk on right now and with my luck, I'd slip and fall and they'd find my cryogenically preserved body in the morning. As for rhyming...well, it's my muse. When she arrives it's usually in the middle of the night and she niggles me until I get it down on paper. That's what woke me up night before last, result - The Epic. TN is not helping, becoming an addiction, may have to go cold turkey for a bit. Or at least give myself time limits.
I'm having a hard time both falling asleep and staying asleep. But last night I got an entire 4 1/2 hours in. Woohoo! Will try cammomile tea tonight.

This post was edited

Just wondering, did my music calm you or wake you up? I used to have problems going to sleep unless I had radio on to help cover city noises. Now that I am in the country I can't hear any so don't listen as much. Soft relaxing music would be best, as long as not too romantic, might keep you from sleeping for another reason. LOL
I have used cammomile tea to help me sleep when I was working nights and had trouble falling asleep in the day time.
Hope this helps.
Thomas

This post was edited

WOW, poor Steve............. Just kidding Jen, I couldn't resist......

Steve

This post was edited

Just wondering, did my music calm you or wake you up? I used to have problems going to sleep unless I had radio on to help cover city noises. Now that I am in the country I can't hear any so don't listen as much. Soft relaxing music would be best, as long as not too romantic, might keep you from sleeping for another reason. LOLI have used cammomile tea to help me sleep when I was working nights and had trouble falling asleep in the day time.Hope this helps.Thomas
Music always helps to sooth the savage beast! Thank you for sharing yours. Love all different genres (although some only in small doses) Loved baremusicians song. He REALLY needs to get that published. Back in the day when I lived in a studio, would run the dishwasher at bedtime - the white noise helped to put me out. Soft music is a good idea, I really hadn't thought about it. Will give it a try. As Steve works an overnight shift most nights the romantic music wont be too much of a problem. LOL
It helps immensely, thank you!
Jen

This post was edited

LOL to you Steve (2). On nights when he's not home my biggest problem is falling asleep. On nights when he is home, staying asleep is my biggest problem. Combine hot flashes with an oven sleeping next to you and it's a wonder I haven't combusted yet!
The insomnia alone I can deal with, it's the hot flashes and feeling wide awake at 2am, 4am, 6am falling back to sleep just as the alarms going off at 7am.

This post was edited

I so appreciate all the helpful suggestions I'm getting. But would really like to encourage more women (read any women) to post! Come on ladies, I know you're out there and I know you have natural remedy solutions for the hot flashes and maybe a few questions of your own that can be addressed here...
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Jen

This post was edited

Hello, Jen! What a great question. For me, the nudist life style is about more than just running around without clothes, it is imbracing a more natural way of living - including my approach to health and wellbeing. You might find some relief from your perimenopausal symptoms by working with a naturopathic doctor. I strongly believe that finding natural remedies and cures for our health issues is the best way to resolve them. I've been working with an N.D.and finding some very good results to my own health issues. She is also a Certified Nutritionist, so she looks at the body in a very holistic way. Although I'm not being treated for menopausal issues, I'm certain that your symptoms can be helped naturally. Naturopathic Medicine is a distinct form of primary health care and the docs include both modern and traditional methods of treatment. While some disease and illness can ultimately best be treated with a knife or meds, I feel very strongly, that the vast majorityofour health care woes can be treatedby natural and holistic means.The following link will give you a search tool for an N.D. in your area: www.Naturopathic.org. Be Healthy and be natural! ~ Lauri

This post was edited

Thank you, both Lauri and Deb! This is pointing me in the right direction. I'll check out the links you've given. I think I've heard of Green Willow Tree. In the meantime tonight, I'll try going for a long walk (I better not slip on the ice, Phil!), drink some chamomile tea and listen to soft music.
Nice to hear from the ladies on this!

Jen

This post was edited

EDIT:
My apologies to those of you who saw this post before the edit, I was being overzealous due to my grief over the death over our dear friend, Commom Sense.

This would be a great site for the above mentioned organizations to advertise, as there is a large contingency of Nudists/Naturists who are also interested in Naturopathic/Homeopathic/Holistic practices. TT1 - if I work at selling advertising space can I have my membership for free? (Oh, that's right it already IS free!)

Jen

This post was edited