message order in forum

For some reason when I look at forum messages, the newest messages are at the very end of the thread. In some cases that means going though 5 or 6 pages of earlier messages to get the the most recent one. Is there any way to sort the messages in descending order? I would pay more attention to peoples' comments if the most recent came first.

This topic was edited
RE: message order in forum

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to sort the posts at all.
I agree, last post first makes sense, as does the name of the last post author on groups and forum,
but what we have is the reverse of that.

This post was edited
Post in groups

If I may intervene I would also like at ask is there any way to get the members pictures below the postings. Very large groups requires one to scroll down to get to the messages. As interested in who is a member of any particular group I would prefer getting to the actual messages first. Just my 2 footprints Thanks, Gary

This post was edited
Post in groups SORRY this post went in twice

If I may intervene I would also like at ask is there any way to get the members pictures below the postings. Very large groups requires one to scroll down to get to the messages. As interested in who is a member of any particular group I would prefer getting to the actual messages first. Just my 2 footprints Thanks, Gary

This post was edited

I don't recall any board where the default arrangement is last-post first, although commercial packages such as vB give the option to arrange the posts in the desired order. Since most folks expect to read posts in the order in which they were posted, that's the way the default is set up. It would be useful to have buttons on the thread index that go directly to the last post (or at least the last page). But then there are a lot of desireable things that must wait in the queue behind the important or necessary things. Remember that TN is a one-man operation, and TT1 writes the code for the site. That limits what can be done in a certain time frame.

I did not know, nor do I understand how, as a new user, I should know that this site is a one-person operation. To your other point, this is the only forum of dozens (social and tech support) forums that I participate in, and every single one except this one has last message first. All the major email programs operate the same way when one is replying to a message, the reply is above the original message.

This post was edited

I don't recall any board where the default arrangement is last-post first, although commercial packages such as vB give the option to arrange the posts in the desired order. Since most folks expect to read posts in the order in which they were posted, that's the way the default is set up. It would be useful to have buttons on the thread index that go directly to the last post (or at least the last page). But then there are a lot of desireable things that must wait in the queue behind the important or necessary things. Remember that TN is a one-man operation, and TT1 writes the code for the site. That limits what can be done in a certain time frame.
I did not know, nor do I understand how, as a new user, I should know that this site is a one-person operation. To your other point, this is the only forum of dozens (social and tech support) forums that I participate in, and every single one except this one has last message first. All the major email programs operate the same way when one is replying to a message, the reply is above the original message.

Email programs (at least the ones I use) have the option to change the order.

This post was edited

All the major email programs operate the same way when one is replying to a message, the reply is above the original message.
No, they do not !
That's a Micro$oft-ism, in direct opposition to proper netiquite. Wrong, and confusing, and VERY difficult to use for anyone who HAS been around, and also consumes a tremendous amount of bandwidth when all the top posters don't ( again, direct opposition to 30 year established netiquite ) edit out the irrelevant parts.
That M$ does things sometimes SO wrong, and SO against 30 year established standards does NOT make them right.
It merely makes them a bully.
At least ( I hear ) they do provide an option buried in the menus somewhere, that will allow it to be done right, but completely eliminate any way for the user to know it.

This post was edited

For some reason when I look at forum messages, the newest messages are at the very end of the thread. In some cases that means going though 5 or 6 pages of earlier messages to get the most recent one. Is there any way to sort the messages in descending order? I would pay more attention to peoples' comments if the most recent came first.

Hi oakparker,

Welcome to the site.

This has been suggested on the upgrades thread, until such times as TT is able to implement it,
(if that is what he decides) is to use this work around (which I think is better than reveres order anyway)
to overcome the last-page icon ( ) hiccup).

Obviously you can only do this on your own posts, or if you made the first comment on the thread.

Copy the "Last page" URL address from the address window at the top of the page, onto your mouse.

Then go back to the first page and click on "EDIT"

Type "Last Page" in the top right corner.

Make it bold and highlight it.

Click on the little "chain" icon, and paste into the "Link URL" box that will pop up.

Ignore the other boxes and click on "insert"

Click on "submit" and your done! ..... EASY! :)

You have now made a "Last Page" link.

You will need keep an eye on it and edit it as the thread grows,

Just go "EDIT"

Highlight the link, click on the chain icon, increase the page number in the url.

Click insert, and submit, and your done!

It saddens me to hear you say this. I have put a lot of effort into creating
info posts and links, to help our newbies get up to speed and find their
way around here. You obviously have not found them yet :(

You'll find them some of them here.

Phil.

This post was edited