Writing in general, and involving personal interests in stories

I know I've mentioned writing on here before, ages ago, but I still like getting opinions about it.

I've noticed I've been imposing aspects of my own life onto my characters more so than ever, and i'm not sure it's always a great way to go. The one story i've finished, which hopefully I can get published but we'll see on that, doesn't have the issue so much but the main character, who will be the star of the sequel, I've found is taking some of my own identity with her.

For example, she ends up spending time looking at a cryptid research website, which although makes sense in character (to sum up the first story she's in: at summer camp, her and one boy are kidnapped by unknown reptilian creatures, she escapes but doesn't know fate of reptiles and the whole mess is covered up) is something I used to do a lot. Her friends are actually pretty close to my own, one being based more on a friends fursona than her actual self though. I've debated making the main character interested in the furry fandom but at the same time don't want to really get too far into it, since it wouldn't add that much to who she becomes over the course of the story. If anything, it would end up being something she'd drop as things start to pick up again.

This is something I've struggled with in the past, and have managed to push away from in my completed story, although I have been leaning heavily on my own life as a basis for a character in a more personal story. At least in that one, it makes sense seeing as how my boyfriend ended up being the template for a very important character in it, and as a result is helping a lot with the process.

I've also included nudity in my finished work, mainly to help enforce how helpless the human characters really are in the situation compared to the new species they've encountered, and it also features heavily in my personal story as the forest spirit in it doesn't really think twice regarding clothing (that's something I've got nicely sorted when it comes to character interactions finally).

How common is it for writers to lean on their own life to build up on characters? Considering I have 3 OC's I regularly portray, all of which are very different in nature, I've found it to be a weakness that only comes out in my more important work.

This topic was edited
RE:Writing in general, and involving personal interests in stories

There are two groups dedicated to reading books Books about naturism and writing books Nudist fiction. I hope that you join and share your thoughts.

I believe that it is OK to use personal experiene into a character, even exposing yourself, but it is necessary that your characters are indepenndent and you are able to recite their actions and thoughts as an interested observer. It is safer to avoid being involved personally with their passions and their drama. Too much self analysis may create holes in the story, or add attributes which do not glue very well with the characters.

This post was edited

Thank you! I'll be sure to check out the groups, see what insight I can gain.

This post was edited

How common is it for writers to lean on their own life to build up on characters? Considering I have 3 OC's I regularly portray, all of which are very different in nature, I've found it to be a weakness that only comes out in my more important work.

Not only would I say its common, I have had writing instructors who say its required.

Im part of a local writers group and a retired attorney came to read for us. He had just finished a novel about, guess what, an attorney. The character was a young dashing attorney who ended up in a political scandal and, of course, was a crusading hero. I recognized some of the characters as fictionalized versions of local business and political characters from twenty or thirty years ago, folks who he would have come up with.

I told one of the other guys in the group, Jerrys book seems to be about the life every attorney imagines he leads.

Are you kidding? That book is about the life Jerry imagines he led.

This post was edited

There are Pros and Cons of putting too much of "yourself" into your characters:

Pros

- Always good to "write what you know" and base things on something you have an insight into and experience with.

- Lets you, asn an author, give voice to thoughts you want to express. The character may have the same thought, feelings and opinions you have and believe, and in sharing them with other characters, and through the other characters CHALLENGING those beliefs, you can test the validity of your own ideas and belief, ultimately justifying them in a way that helps you examine them honestly.

- Mark Twain - based Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn on both his own boyhood life and boys he knew and that gave a sense of honesty to those stories. But he didn't stop there. He still made them fresh, interesting and unique characters then put them in situations that brought those qualities out.

Cons

- Pet peeve - writers who's characters all talk and act like the author. I've hear people put words in the mouths of their characters that were so obviously the writer talking, rather than the character, and that's preachy and annoying and just bad amateur writing (IMHO).

- To quote the playwright Terence, "Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto", literally "I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me." - Even if you pull from what's inside you, there is the full diversity of humanity in each of us - our good sides and our bad sides. Many can't do that or are afraid to do that, but channeling the many different voices in your head can give a constructive outlet for your schizophrenia. :-)

Conclusion

Can you write with honesty? If you base the character on yourself will she have no flaws that you can see, or will you make her fallible, with negative qualities that humanize her? I would say don't hesitate to base a character on yourself, even the lead character, as long as you use her as a character and not just a megaphone for your own, unchallenged (or weakly challenged) views. As long as ALL the characters have a unique voice and contrast well with one another, should be good.

All of this, of course, IMHO

This post was edited

[quote}All of this, of course, IMHO

Now, you get to my pet peeve: aside from the overuse of abbreviations on the internet (we arent using 386 processors and 1200 baud modems anymore. We can stretch it out a bit.), its using IMHO and TBH. Why hedge? We know its your opinion, humble or otherwise. It always feels to me like an apology.

Of course, thats just my humble opinion. :)

This post was edited