Fiction attempt reading

I have joined an informal group of local writers who meet once a month and encourage each other to write fiction. To give the seed of an idea. Each person writes down a character, an object and a location and tosses the cards into a hat. We draw out a card, any but the one we threw in and then write a story over the next month that uses the list. I drew A lonely man, a pocket watch , and confessional booth. When I mentioned to the group that my writing had been limited to blogging my trips they assured me that i could use those events in my fiction.

I choose to write about a young man on his first away from home trip where he used Amtrak to explore the USA. I did draw from my travels over the years. For some of his experiences I used mine as an active hospitality host. I have related before about hosting long distance bicyclist and now Airbnb guests while nude. So I had the character stay in a nudist home run by a couple in their 30s.

While i read my audience of a dozen or so politely listened but i got no reaction until I had him soak in the hot tub by the house rules 1.use common sense 2. no swimsuits allowed
There were some snickers and even a gasp when he got hugged by a naked man. We had an open discussion about my writing and owned up that I was the nudist host but added a wife and youngered myself. Overall a positive reaction to my first attempt at fiction.

This topic was edited
No replies yet.