Going to car shows

Does anyone have any experience going to or participating in classic car shows? I'm looking at one or two in the near future and didn't know if there are any tips to make the process easier and more enjoyable.

This topic was edited
RE:Going to car shows

I always took a folding lawn type chair and beach umbrella. You hope on a hot day your in a spot to set it up and shade yourself. Cooler with beverages is a must in case there is no refreshment stand. Keep your cool, you will find parents don't watch their kids or themselves act like kids and will be leaning all over your car. Tell them nicely. When arriving do a quick detailing of your car. I always had micro fiber cloths and spray wax. Things get dusty when you drive and trust me... People will notice and point it out.
And regretfully I say this. Watch over your car. Especially if it's an award type show. Look for the car too that may resemble your own make and model. I literally experienced someone with a car like ours competing in our class key our car as he was looking it over. I personally didn't see it but others did and told me who it was. I never confronted the man but I knew enough organizers in our area who I told it to so he was always asked to park in odd places away from others and was not treated well. The story traveled and people knew and he finally quit coming to the shows. I've heard of other instances of this happening.

This post was edited

Does anyone have any experience going to or participating in classic car shows? I'm looking at one or two in the near future and didn't know if there are any tips to make the process easier and more enjoyable.

Been to many and all are a little different and are held at different venues. I've participated in shows with less than 100 cars and in two car shows that had over 800 cars. With the big shows, you car can get lost in the sea of classic cars. It takes a keen eye to notice that my '67 Chevelle is not typical of other 67 Chevelles out there. I get a fair share of visitors with questions or stories of their own about that model car.

What to take for you; chair, umbrella, EZ Up, cooler with food/snacks and drinks. For your car; car duster, micro fiber cloths, detail spray, extra water to possibly wipe off mud or dirt, Armor-all and any other car products you may want to use to may your car shine a bit more.

I'm not a purist. I don't care for Classic Car purists. My car is close to being a daily driver, it's not a Trailer Queen. Those cars didn't come off the lot with all that chrome everywhere and I usually pass those by when looking at cars. Be aware of these purists when they look over your car. They will nit pick every detail that you may have added or deleted that "isn't original."

I don't understand those that take their cars to car shows and have trouble with people that get closer than 3 ft to get a good look. I've actually seen some cars a local car shows that have their car roped off so you can't get any closer than 4ft!

I let them touch my car, sit in it, open and close doors (the engine and truck hoods are usually open and unlocked. I don't let them use my car as a playground or jungle gym but I don't freak because they touch it. To me, that's silly. To each their own though.

I don't go looking to win any awards, although I have in the past and it was a nice surprise. I go to car shows to make contacts and get advice on car repairs, modifications, renovations. I get ideas on what others have done to their cars that are similar to mine. I also talk to lots of other car owners to find the best car shows that appeal to me and my style.

Have a great time!

This post was edited

I'm getting my ride ready for driving...it still needs a little bit of interior clean up and a couple of mechanical issues...but I think it will be a nice ride in the end.

This post was edited

Sounds great. got any pictures you wanna share?

This post was edited

I'm still looking for a good mechanic...my choices are somewhat limited, but we'll keep looking. I'm going to try and load an interior shot and see if it works...

This post was edited

Cool. Looks clean! ;-)

The most fun we've ever had at a car show was twice, at our club. I remained naked the entire time. When I drove the car down from our camping spot to the parking area for the car show, I did so naked. Some of the textile car club members made a comment about that. One guy and his wife said, "isn't it against the law to drive naked?" I looked at him and thought he was joking. I just said, "we're inside the gates of a nudist club!" Then the light went on over his head! ;DDDD

I thought for sure that we wouldn't get many people coming over to look at our car but there were actually many people that did. They'd ask me questions about the car and then ask me questions about being a nudist and being naked in front of all the textile car club members and the public that came in to view the cars. I told them, "you're in our world now. It's you that's not undress properly and should feel a little at ease." He didn't and they were right when they reminded me that there were even "nudists" that came down from the rec center to see the cars and were covered or dressed. Luckily, there were some of us that were nude and remained nude.

I got an award for my car the second car show; Best in Class - Muscle Car. I went up to the stage, still nude, and got my plaque from the car club President. I have it prominently displayed in our office. Lots of looks from textile friends but no one wants to comment.

This post was edited

UG I showed our sons car one time this summer at our Club. I just didn't have any heart to do it without my son with him criss crossing the country on his music tours. It's time I think about getting it stored for our lovely winters here. Just Pitiful I tell you.

This post was edited

Looking to attend a few more Car Shows later this year and into early next year. Hoping I find a buyer at one of them. I'm about done with Classic cars. It's eating away at our travel fund and there are tons of places we've yet to go... so the car's gotta go! ;D

This post was edited

I can agree with that one...I'm down about $500 for 'brake work' and it still won't stop. I think I've got to go elsewhere...far elsewhere to get my ride fixed. We'll see. John.

This post was edited

I identify with your, "the way I keep cars..." We have two Alfas three MG's and a mid-90's Chevy truck that should be elsewhere but I can't seem to find the right homes.

This post was edited