Letters

Funny that in a time when communications are so easy with all the electronic devices we all own, letters are now even shorter than telegrams!!

Remember telegrams? When people tried to tell the most in just 4-5 words? It was because of the costs. Now email is free. And yet today many people write "letters" of just 1-2 words!!

Many times when sending a letter the answers I receive are like "Yes", "No", "Maybe", "Sometimes"
I know many people will say it is hard to type a whole letter in a phone, and most people use their phones as a main way of communication, but if we truly want to stay in communication and we want to use our phones, shouldn't we make the effort and learn to type in those little screens? Especially when the communication is started by the other person and not me?

Personally I don't use my phone for communication. I see it as a disrespect to people to write just one or two words, or even worst, use the pre-written answers in a phone. To write letters I prefer to use a computer, where I can write a longer, more specific and descriptive letter.

That's why I've had to finish answering "letters" to 1-2 "word-ers". I am not mad at them...I just don't see a real interest in them to truly communicate, so I just stop "bugging them" with my letters, like I said, even if it was them starting the communication in the first place.

This topic was edited
RE:Letters

I agree. No matter what the form of communication is, even if it's face to face, if the other person just answers with one or two words, it just stops the conversation. Communication is a skill just like everything else. Unfortunately, that skill has gone by the wayside with people favoring quick forms such as texting, snap chat, or Twitter. True, a lot can be said with a few words, but a lot is unsaid too. This makes it hard to keep talking and makes the whole thing feel like a waste of time.

This post was edited

Although I agree, I also usually skip over long post. If it is a DM, I do read all of that but may not respond until I can use a keyboard. In todays instant communication world , people expect a quick response hence the 2 words.

I use my tablet most often to read and reply to post, like the phone, it is not the easiest way to type a detailed response. If I am creating a post, Blogging or answering a DM, I prefer to use my laptop, however, when I am using it, I am usually working and dont have the time to devote to Social Media communication.

This post was edited

Good job grandma!

This post was edited

She is the exception to the rule now days!
More and more kids are buried into their phones all the time.
Later,

This post was edited

You touched a nerve here. We have so many easy ways to communicate now yet I feel people overall do a worse job than ever doing it. Multi question notes often only get one answer Invites to do something often get no answer or an answer at the last minute. The answerer not even thinking that the questioner would have made other plans had he known the negative answer sooner. RSVP? DO NOT even bother. No one realizes that a hosts needs to know how many to prepare a meal for. Wow it only took me three minutes to convey all that. Not hard to do from a phone on a moving train..

This post was edited

I grew up with a phone tied to the wall with a rotary dial on it. Didn't get a cell phone for many years after they came out. When I finally did I found I didn't like them. I got a "smart" phone for business and navigation when truck driving, but got it by monthly subscription so I could let it go easily. I'd rather not have the extra bill, kind of hard to carry a phone anyway when I don't wear nothin to carry it with. When I work nude I don't want a belt on even. That's uncomfortable as clothing.

My emails and forum posts tend to be long at times. Feel like I have a lot to explain when talking about some topic. And I haven't sent a letter in years. Didn't write very many even before the web came along.

This post was edited