Letters

Funny that in a time when communications are so easy with all the electronic devices we all own, letters are now even shorter than telegrams!!

Remember telegrams? When people tried to tell the most in just 4-5 words? It was because of the costs. Now email is free. And yet today many people write "letters" of just 1-2 words!!

Many times when sending a letter the answers I receive are like "Yes", "No", "Maybe", "Sometimes"
I know many people will say it is hard to type a whole letter in a phone, and most people use their phones as a main way of communication, but if we truly want to stay in communication and we want to use our phones, shouldn't we make the effort and learn to type in those little screens? Especially when the communication is started by the other person and not me?

Personally I don't use my phone for communication. I see it as a disrespect to people to write just one or two words, or even worst, use the pre-written answers in a phone. To write letters I prefer to use a computer, where I can write a longer, more specific and descriptive letter.

That's why I've had to finish answering "letters" to 1-2 "word-ers". I am not mad at them...I just don't see a real interest in them to truly communicate, so I just stop "bugging them" with my letters, like I said, even if it was them starting the communication in the first place.

This topic was edited
RE:Letters

I agree. No matter what the form of communication is, even if it's face to face, if the other person just answers with one or two words, it just stops the conversation. Communication is a skill just like everything else. Unfortunately, that skill has gone by the wayside with people favoring quick forms such as texting, snap chat, or Twitter. True, a lot can be said with a few words, but a lot is unsaid too. This makes it hard to keep talking and makes the whole thing feel like a waste of time.

This post was edited

I couldnt agree more. I dislike the texting culture. My wife likes to text and actually recites what shes texting. Why doesnt she just call her friends and talk to them?

This post was edited

A little off topic, but ----
My girlfriend and I were eating at a local restaurant when she brought something weird to my attention. Two mid-teens aged girls were obviously texting each other from tables about twenty feet apart. One would text and the other would laugh. Back and forth. There was a young man sitting with each of them looking bored. The young men stood up and went to the men's room. The young ladies didn't seem to notice. The young men exited the mens room and signaled the waitress. They paid the bills and left. The waitress approached the tables and informed the girls that the bill was paid and the men had left. The girls looked very confused. They stopped texting and ran outside. We left right behind them. In the parking lot the two young gentlemen were waiting by their cars for the girls. I wish we were close enough to overhear that conversation.

This post was edited

My wife and I will notice how much of that goes on in restaurants.
Family meals out will often times consist of the children on their phones and no interaction with their parents.
Or a couple will both be on their phones with no dialog between them.
We rarely use our phones when out together unless the cyber subject involves something we are discussing.
Communication, is it getting better or worse?
The positive side is (as here on TN) I have an opportunity to converse with people I never would have otherwise without my computer.
Even then, no cryptic messages. I try to put serious thought into what I type.....even when it's not serious! :-)

This post was edited

Although I agree, I also usually skip over long post. If it is a DM, I do read all of that but may not respond until I can use a keyboard. In todays instant communication world , people expect a quick response hence the 2 words.

I use my tablet most often to read and reply to post, like the phone, it is not the easiest way to type a detailed response. If I am creating a post, Blogging or answering a DM, I prefer to use my laptop, however, when I am using it, I am usually working and dont have the time to devote to Social Media communication.

This post was edited

Kids are losing the art of verbal communication. They will text and use Instagram instead of actually talking to anyone. If you're older and don't do Instagram, you're outta luck with younger family members. Seems parents, nowadays, are so busy with work and the stresses of everyday life that not having to cook is no longer a luxury but also a normal way of life. Restaurants are packed with young families all the time around our city. It's a younger family city and we just avoid any restaurants from about 6:30 -7:30 pm. Seems young parents want some quiet, non verbal time and many seem to allow their kids to use their phones at all times, just so they don't have to answer questions or interact. Pretty sad really.

Granma Di put the hammer down with our grandkids. When they are with us, their cell phone use is limited and she collects the phones after their use time is up. They are all put on the chargers in the kitchen and the rule is; "if I get up in the middle of the night and a phone/phones are missing from the chargers, that person loses their phone for the next day!" They may have gotten up and used their phones while we were sleeping and we didn't know it but they are all there the next day and have been when I've gotten up late at night or early morning to use the bathroom.

NO Cell phones at the dinner table here, at our youngest daughter's home and when out to dinner. Granma started the out to dinner/no cell phone rule a couple years ago. The kids all adjusted and don't seem to even notice they aren't on their phones. We do our best to keep the discussions and conversations moving along until it just meshes into their own conversations and discussions and no one seems to miss using their phones. After dinner and when we're headed to each other's vehicles, we notice the phones come right back out again! :DDDDD

This post was edited

Good job grandma!

This post was edited

She is the exception to the rule now days!
More and more kids are buried into their phones all the time.
Later,

This post was edited

You touched a nerve here. We have so many easy ways to communicate now yet I feel people overall do a worse job than ever doing it. Multi question notes often only get one answer Invites to do something often get no answer or an answer at the last minute. The answerer not even thinking that the questioner would have made other plans had he known the negative answer sooner. RSVP? DO NOT even bother. No one realizes that a hosts needs to know how many to prepare a meal for. Wow it only took me three minutes to convey all that. Not hard to do from a phone on a moving train..

This post was edited

Technology allows us to be all knowing all the time, but it doesn't encourage us to make plans or commitments or to be vulnerable. We can IDK LOL and WTF our way through life unscathed. There was a backlash against stone tablets, too, I imagine, so the question is to use new technologies in a positive way. How about three or four caring and unexpected words: Thinking of you, Enjoy your day, You matter, I care, Give a damn, Be it anyway, Life is sweet, ain't it?
My sons are just as likely to write noncommital responses as any teen, but they are learning from caring adults like you how to be articulate, too, and when they are they sure get attention. Unfortunately, it's more of a choice than an expectation. They can only learn from oldsters like me.

This post was edited