Clothes in the sauna

I just joined a suburban LA Fitness and found myself naked in the men's sauna with five others of various ages: three in shorts and two in complete workout clothes and shoes. Some of them were talking and I just sat and left when I was ready without anyone seeming to notice or care about me as a naked middle aged stranger.

I'm curious what advice younger men can offer. There are no signs in the locker room indicating any nudity policy. It seems to be a generational thing that men 50+ think a sauna is for nudity and men

This topic was edited
RE:Clothes in the sauna

Hey! I am an american expat and have been living in Germany for about five years now. There is a big sauna culture here. It's a great way to spend the short, grey and damp winter days here. There are privately run saunas all over the place here; some of them really huge and elaborate with multiple steam and dry saunas, whirlpools and even swim up bars (check out, for example, Spa Erding outside Munich: https://www.therme-erding.de/sauna-wellness/).

Nudity is the rule here whenever you go into the sauna. Seriously, I have seen people freak out when someone goes into the sauna in shorts or a swim suit, and encroaching textiles are immediately told to get naked or get out! It is not just because they don't want people there for the wrong reason (i.e., gawkers). People here consider it very unsanitary. I think that they might be on to something there. You go into a sauna to sweat! But if you are doing that underneath clothing (especially something tight like a bathing suit), the sweat and dirt get trapped underneath and inside of your pores (which are, after all, wide open because of all the heat and sweat). It can then get infected and you can leave those bacteria behind you on the seat for the next person who sits there. So, my advise is to continue to go naked in the sauna and encourage the other people there to do the same thing -- it is much more hygienic. For the same reason, of course, you should bring a towel to sit on (if someone is shy they can wrap themselves up in it as well). And take a cold shower or cold plunge immediately after you come out, to close your pores and keep dirt and sweat from getting inside them.

This post was edited

At the gyms I go to with gender segregated sauna, steam, etc, I find that the ratio of nude to clothed varies a lot from one visit to the next. It doesn't relate to age particularly. Sometimes a bunch of young naked guys and old guys in shorts, other times I'm the only naked guy, among young and old. My main consideration is that I'm comfortable, which means nude. So set a good example, stay naked :-).

This post was edited

I am very surprised that they kept as much on as they did in the sauna... I do know that some guys do keep their clothes on in the sauna to increase the amount of sweating / water output etc. to increase weight loss/shredding for scale purpose - but hard to say if those young men fit that category or just didn't feel comfortable being nude or didn't know they could get nude...hopefully more younger than I can add some experiences.

This post was edited

It is such a shame that our society has become prudes out of fear. Not sure why or what they are afraid of. When in the sauna or steam room, I like to be completely nude to experience the full benefit of the heat. I still see men come in in multiple stages of dress, including shoes.

This post was edited

I just joined a suburban LA Fitness and found myself naked in the men's sauna with five others of various ages: three in shorts and two in complete workout clothes and shoes. Some of them were talking and I just sat and left when I was ready without anyone seeming to notice or care about me as a naked middle aged stranger.I'm curious what advice younger men can offer. There are no signs in the locker room indicating any nudity policy. It seems to be a generational thing that men 50+ think a sauna is for nudity and men

The sauna is by all traditions and logic nude space. It makes little to no sense to be in one clothed.

This post was edited

Just depends on staff/management. The LAF I go to has gone from nothing said to 'must cover up' to now no sign. Even when there was the 'must cover up' some guys still went nude though they usually wanted more than nudity.... :O. To each his own.

This post was edited

My local Y has a mixed gender sauna next to the pool. They posted a sign that surprised me a bit. No long sleeved shirts no sweats or hoodies, no long pants. Most of us just go from pool to sauna in our swimwear anyway. But apparently some folks were fully dressed, to the point that some guy passed out as he left due to overheating under full sweats. With most places posting guidelines that you gotta wear a little something, I shook my head in amazement that we had to post assign that you can't wear your snowmobile suit :-). What a world.

This post was edited

At my gym, which theyve currently closed the sauna, Im one of maybe 4 guys that dont wear anything, we still have towels covering just because everyone else is apparently afraid of nudity. I never cover up changing or drying off after a shower, I wish men would be men and feel more relaxed and comfortable in the mens locker room.

This post was edited

I go to a Bailey's gym in Florida. There are definitely guys that go in there fully clothed, which is weird. I go in there with just a towel and typically open up the towel once I'm in there. The gym rules just say that we should have a towel under us, but nudity is fine. I've seen plenty of other guys doing the same thing as me too.

This post was edited

I believe this is a norm in America. but if you are in Asia, such as Japan, Korea and China etc... Most guys are using Sauna completely naked. If you are in japan wearing clothes in Sauna means disrecpect the others and the culture. they will call the staff to have you remove out of the gym.

This post was edited