Londoners Help

Where's the best area to stay for under 200 quid per night? My friend and I plan to spend a week in London and the surrounding area this coming July. Does anyone know of a safe, secure area we could find a hotel in for the first week of JUly? We currently have two options to consider: near the Waterloo station and near the Paddington station.If anyone has any other options, please let me know.
Thank you so much,
Doc

This topic was edited
RE: Londoners Help

Both of the areas you are considering have their advantages and disavantages in using them as a base just in terms of their respective geographic locations. I must admit my bias though as I live within a 15 minute walk of Waterloo and recently a number of new hotels, not five star, have opened up in the area. If you only want your room for somewhere to sleep that is comfortable and clean, then I think you should be able to find rooms for under 200 pounds a night in my part of London.

Waterloo does have the advantage that if you are out in the West End at night, seeing a show, say, you can walk back to your hotel if you wish, whereas it is a much longer walk to Paddington. Both areas are well served by public transport, (the only way to get around London "cheaply").

This post was edited

Does any one else have recommendations for Doc?

This post was edited

laterooms.co.uk is very good too!

This post was edited
A cheaper alternative

If you want to keep your costs down and don't mind trying someting a little different, the London School of Economics offers student accommodation for rent during the vacations. You can get a double room from 52 per night. Some friends stayed there last year and said the rooms were perfectly adequate and they're very centrally located. You can find out more at https://www.lsevacations.co.uk/ .

This post was edited
Thanks for all the help

Thanks everyone for all the help. I lived in a small village called Stow-on-the-Wold for many years and made countless trips into London. Unfortunately, that was alsomany years ago and things have changed considerably in London.
Being retired military, I do have the opportunity to stay at the Unio Jack Hotel near Waterloo. The last time I stayed there (15years ago) the area was a bit dodgy, but it sounds like things have changed. I will check out all the suggestions though. We may end up staying two weeks so we can take in some of the sites. How's the beach at the end of June?

This post was edited
RE: Thanks for all the help

A lot has changed in the Waterloo area in the last 15 years, all for the better, and the Union Jack Club is still there. Further down the Waterloo Road is a new Travelogde and an H10 Hotel, and if you move a bit to the west, but still south of the river there are two Plaza hotels and a Marriot.

If you are thinking of staying for two weeks, a short term apartment rental may be cheaper than an hotel.

Waterloo is still not the smartest address to have in London, but the area is now "sort after". I would not call it doggy at all and feel quite comfortable walking around that area and any time of the day or night.

This post was edited

Hey. If you do decide to stick with paddington station, here's where you can find hotel suggestions: https://www.londonpaddingtonstationhotels.com/. Hope I helped and I wish you a pleasant stay.

This post was edited