Ironwood Forest National Monument Arizona

I'm back in Arizona and enjoyed a four hour nude hike in Ironwood Forest National Monument yesterday. The temp was only in the high 60's but with full sunshine and no wind it felt great. I went to the area of West Silverbell Mountains where I've hiked in the past. It's a really pretty area with some ATV trails but most of the time I hiked cross country. It is mostly rolling hills with great views.

This topic was edited
RE:Ironwood Forest National Monument Arizona

That sounds amazing. Do you know of any areas for extended length free hiking in northern az?

This post was edited

The short answer to your question is no. Im in Arizona during the winter so Ive never looked into hiking there. Certainly there are no end of places for nude hiking northern AZ in the warmer months. If you havent already done so, I suggest you do a search for hike hiking in the Arizona groups you belong to here on TN. I tried that and came up with lots of discussions on hiking and camping in northern AZ. Another group you might try is Arizona Adventures. I belong to the Nude Hikers group. I tried a search for Arizona in that group and came up with lots of similar discussions. Some of the discussions give detailed directions to hiking/camping areas used by folks here on TN. I would not hesitate to send those people a PM asking for more information about a specific area.

I search for new nude hiking areas using a couple of web resources. One is the All Trails web site and ap. They give excellent descriptions and directions for hiking trails. There is no information on nude hiking but one of the descriptors they use is how frequently the trails are used. I would stick to the Lightly Trafficked trails for nude hike consideration. Online National Forest and Monument trail maps are helpful. I compare them to google earth images and google topo maps. It gives me a pretty good idea of what the terrain looks like. Lots of times I leave the trails and go cross country. With the google earth imagery I can usually tell if the vegetation is going to be thin enough to walk through comfortably. The topo maps keep me from getting into any steep difficult terrain. I also use the US Topo Maps ap which shows lots of trails that do not show up on the other sites.

National Forest, National Monument and BLM lands are the most nude friendly. Just being nude is not an offense under Federal law. The county still has jurisdiction but in most cases the sheriffs department is not going to spend a lot of time on nude hikers. I would avoid reservation land simply because it wouldnt be worth the effort to research the land use permit process not to mention how Tribal law treats nude hiking.

Lots of opportunities await. This is a good time of year to do your research so youll be ready to go in the spring. Good luck.

This post was edited

Did a similar hike in Sunset Crater NM, AZ a few years back. Went cross country in one corner of he monument. Crossed a few ATV trails but being a weekday, there was no one around. It was also late March.

This post was edited