new canoe - kayaks for 2020

anyone getting a new canoe or kayak for 2020

This topic was edited
RE:new canoe - kayaks for 2020

been wanting a new canoe for fishing and exploring small lakes , ponds and rivers that take a light weight boat to get to , imo 10 foot and 40 pounds or less are idea and yes they can be found some pretty expensive my favorite is a sportpal canoe but $$$ so my next thought was back to another kayak as I've had a old town vapor 10 in past great yak but my old legs struggled to get in and not the best fishing yak again imo. at 10 foot and 57 pounds my new sit on yak is on the way a tamarack angler 10 a little over my weight goal but I can live with it getting down to hidden ponds and rivers , streams hopefully secluded enough this spring to get nude in some spots. youtube has crazy mods for this and any canoe - yak most max out capacity with more crap than they will ever need out on the water for a couple hours , yeah my idea bank fishing or on the water Keep it Simple ! one rod super small tackle box , cooler bag again super small , life jacket paddle and me. be cool if nude was acceptable everywhere as clothes weigh too.

This post was edited

Been spending my spare cash on my camper van lately. But I have my next kayak picked out. It's a 12' Native Watercraft Slayer Propel LT. This YouTube video says more about it than I can. Here's a link: Slayer Propel 12Lt

This post was edited

I got an inflatable on right at the end of the season last year dont know if it will be any good but longing forward to finding out summer 2020.

This post was edited

my first kayak was a inflatable first thing I discovered at least with mine is they don't track well not sure what kind you have but you can buy skegs ( ebay & amazon) that helps them track better. I was at the lake one day I had upgraded to a old town vapor and a couple had a inflatable kayak and they were pretty much just spinning in circles.

This post was edited

but you can buy skegs ( ebay & amazon) that helps them track better. I was at the lake one day I had upgraded to a old town vapor and a couple had a inflatable kayak and they were pretty much just spinning in circles.

What are skegs?

This post was edited

What are skegs?

After googling and checking the product details the kayak comes with a detachable skeg. So looks like I will be ready to go in the spring.

This post was edited

What are skegs?

It's a device fitted to the bottom/aft of a boat and has a similar effect to a rudder except it's stationary. Helps keep the boat moving in a straight line forward.

This post was edited

If you do a search on Youtube for "kayak Skeg" you'll find lots of videos comparing the before and after tracking performance as well as how to install skegs. Keep in mind that the way your kayak tracks depends on it's design. some kayaks are better than others. Some skegs are removable which is a nice feature, it makes it less likely to break off when transporting or storing the kayak.

This post was edited

Old Towne Topwater PDL. It rocks.

This post was edited

Old Towne Topwater PDL. It rocks.
Nice boat :-)
Which length did you get?
And what sold you on that one vs others, such as the Native Watercraft Slayer Propel?
I like 'em both. I Prefer the OT outboard rudder. On the other hand, I like the NW lighter weight. No clue which one has the best cruising speed.

This post was edited