First Wine Batches

I succumbed to the sale at one of my brewing suppliers. I bought an old vine zinfandel kt and a pinot grigio kit. Brew day was much easier than beer and the fermenters are bubbling away. Now I have a few months to think about bottling. Would it be wrong to bottle in beer bottles? On one hand it would be less expensive and nice serving size...but no cork. Opinions?

This topic was edited
RE:First Wine Batches

Well hey Jim, I am pleased to learn that you are doing wine now! I have gear for corking wine bottles. I sold my winery in Eureka Springs, but kept everything i needed for personal brewing. Richard

This post was edited

I would love to hear how pleased you are with the final results.

This post was edited

I have a feeling the reviews might be similar to these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cozw088w44Q

This post was edited

I transferred both the Pinot Grigio and the Zinfandel to secondary fermenters yesterday. Specific gravity was very good at 0.990 and 1.000 respectively. We tasted both and we are VERY pleased. The Grigio should be ready to bottle in a couple of weeks, but was very drinkable right now. The Zin is a little sweet at this point but I think bottle ageing will bring out a great table wine. My Italian corker is due to arrive next Tuesday. Back to beer this week after the race car is prepped. Hopefully work won't interfere too much with my hobbies.

This post was edited

The Pinot Grigio is bottled! It tastes great and final gravity was 0.994.

This post was edited

The Old Vine Zin was bottled last week. Instructions say not to touch it, let alone drink it, for three months. Apparently, this waiting thing is the difficult part of making wine. The taste before we bottled was very encouraging.

This post was edited