Getting into ebooks

Now that ebooks are well established, I find that my local library has some titles that are only available as ebooks.

So, I check out the ebook, and then I find that I either must read it on my browser or download it. Of course I download it. Then I try to open it and it turns out that I first need to download the app. I do that. Then I have to sign in with password, to the exact same site that I had already signed in, with password. That's funny, I don't remember signing out of it! All this, having first signed in to my library account on the library website.

This is why people prefer hard copy books. A hard copy book, once I check it out, there are no additional steps to follow; I can just open it up and start reading.

This topic was edited
RE:Getting into ebooks

True enough. I do most of my ebook reading on a Kindle Fire HD, and it's sometimes slow to actually get to the book. So instead of just opening a book to my bookmark and starting to read, I've got to wake the Kindle, swipe up to unlock it, then wait - sometimes as much as two minutes - for it to finish the wake-up and display the book I'm reading. Of course, it has its good points, also. It's the same weight no matter how big the book or how many I have stashed in it, which is great for carrying around. If I ever finish the last book I have on it, I can get another in just a few minutes. So, like anything else, it has good points and bad points. I haven't stopped reading physical books - I've just added ebooks as another format.

This post was edited

I am a continuous reader. Always have some book going. Plus read magazine and online articles while eating solo and often while watching TV. But simply not into ebooks. Curling up on my side under covers requires a good old paper printed book. The only way I fall asleep for the night is in that position. A screen I have to scroll would not lend itself to relaxing my mind.

This post was edited

Yeah, my night-time reading is always a physical book or magazine. I don't want the screen light telling my body to stay awake.

This post was edited