Britain's nudists call for naturism to be a 'philosophical belief' under the law

Here's an interesting article, thought it was worth sharing...

Britain's nudists call for naturism to be a 'philosophical belief' under the law

I hope that British Naturism can get this passed. If they can do that, it'd be a good example to cite in bringing the same protections/acceptance here to the U.S.

This topic was edited
RE:Britain's nudists call for naturism to be a 'philosophical belief' under the law

(I posted this in another group) I think we have already done it, after a long struggle by British Naturists (BN). It involved ensuring that new legislation did not trap people for just being naked, then working with the Director of Public Prosecutions and finally with the Police. It is no longer illegal to be naked in public in the UK as long as there is no intent to cause alarm or distress. BUT that does not mean it is accepted by the public at large. As with many UK nudists I practice my nudity with consideration of those around me. I'm only naked in places where it is acceptable, or if I'm alone (or only with other nudists).

This post was edited
RE:Britain's nudists call for naturism to be a 'philosophical belief' under the law

While nudity in public is not illegal in the UK and has not been so or several years there are still groups who are antagonistic to nudists to such an extent that they will harass and intimidate clothed nudists attending a private swim or other event. At present there s no law preventing this but it would automatically become illegal if nudism or naturism was an official philosophical belief.
It is this protection from violent bigotry which is being sought.

This post was edited

Thanks for your insight Olly and John

This post was edited