RE:Has anyone used a home permanent hair remover

I use an IPL but can't tell if it works.There are hundreds of IPL devices on Amazon. I can tell you the light is intense for sure and if you get one make sure to always look away when you use it or you won't see for a few minutes.

If the unit you bought doesn't have a safety feature to prevent it from firing when not pressed against an opaque barrier (like your skin), I would question its all-around safety. This is an intensive laser beam and can cause serious eye damage.

For those considering home IPL devices, in general the bigger the contact area, the less intensive the laser, and the more treatments required.
The Tria uses a pencil sized round pulse, delivering the full power to a small area . Others use a bigger rectangle shape, delivering a weaker pulse over a larger area. Pick your poison depending on what area you're zapping.

I have been using the original Tria system (they're up to gen 4 now). Due to my nearly year-round tan, I only get a roughly 2 month period for treatments, but even with that I can report a significant reduction in hair growth. Pubic hair takes 4+ weeks before becoming even slightly noticeable. On a whim, I zapped my underarms once. It reduced the hair growth by about 50%. In both areas, what hair does grow is very fine, and not nearly as dark (which unfortunate makes the Tria less effective for each subsequent treatment).

Bottom line, they do work, but different people will experience different results, mostly depending on skin tone (Lighter is better) and hair color (Darker is better). Different areas of the body will react differently as well.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited