RE:4 reasons people are not nudists

I've been a nudist for about 3 yrs now. I often talk to people and invite them to scratch skinny dipping off their list. Over the years, I've heard many declining thoughts on the subject. I have put them all under 3 headings. It is quite likely that there are other broad generalizations that I didn't think of. Please take a look and put in your 2 cents worth.1. I am not happy with my own body as it is, right now. Therefore I dont want anyone to see my body.2. I have concerns that in some way, nudity in a social, recreational, non-sexual setting - in mixed company is somehow bad.3. I dont want to see other peoples nude bodies because the sight is, in some way/s distasteful to me.

I have noticed mainly a very awkward social behavior. Now Im very picky to engage into conversations or chats with other nudist.

This post was edited

thx for the input. yes, nudity could be equal to sexuality for some. and that activity outside of with spouse could be defined as sinful by religious beliefs.

That's the thing: the only time most people are naked with other people is when they're having sex. Therefore, nudity equals sex.

The more nudity is practiced in non-sexual areas, the less important the role that sex plays. In cultures where nudity was or is common, the sexual element is almost non-existent. But when the missionaries brought clothing and their own ideas of morality, all that changed. We need to change it back.

Unfortunately, many of us live where clothing required for comfort, so we are textiles by necessity. That makes it harder for people to develop social nudity even in hospitable climates.

This post was edited

Another thing: I've gone out with a few small women (around 5' tall, weighing around 110 pounds (50 kilos) or so. They've told me that they feel very vulnerable when in a nude situation. They don't feel comfortable around large naked men. Maybe there are some women on the forum who fit that description and who can chime in on this. I don't know whether it's a common problem or not.

And I'm married to a woman who is an incest survivor. She feels uncomfortable being nude in any context except sex or bathing. This was due, she thinks, to her father continually walking in on her when she was taking a shower and demanding sex. I can't blame her ... she's been in therapy about the situation, but it's still there.

I do wonder how many damaged people there are around us, healing from wounds like these.

This post was edited

Jehoram, you raise some good points. As you point out the missionaries did a number off the native population by imposing their ideas of morality when in reality we could learn a lot from the Native Americans on how to live especially before being corrupted and mistreated by the immigrants.

Also, you make a point about how many people are living with or have horrible memories of past things like your wife. Its not just those people but people that hear about or see how it affects someone. They tend to work to protect themselves from ending up in similar situations.

This post was edited

So twist the line of this discussion a bit.
What does make one a nudist?
Everyone showers or bathes without clothes. That does not make them a nudist. Everyone uses the restroom at least partially unclothed. That does not make them a nudist. During the COVID outbreak working from home alone without clothes does not make them a nudist. Taking your clothes off to have sex with your significant other does not make you a nudist.

So what does? Coming together in community without clothes for purposes that have nothing to do with sex. That doesnt mean nudists dont have sex, but doing so doesnt make them a nudist.

So the whole point of nudism is learning a new mindset that separates being without clothes from the intent of having sex. Becoming confidant in your own body and accepting others bodies just as they are. This is not something you can do by yourself, but can only be accomplished within a community that exemplifies this mindset.

This post was edited

So twist the line of this discussion a bit.What does make one a nudist?Everyone showers or bathes without clothes. That does not make them a nudist. Everyone uses the restroom at least partially unclothed. That does not make them a nudist. During the COVID outbreak working from home alone without clothes does not make them a nudist. Taking your clothes off to have sex with your significant other does not make you a nudist.So what does? Coming together in community without clothes for purposes that have nothing to do with sex. That doesnt mean nudists dont have sex, but doing so doesnt make them a nudist.So the whole point of nudism is learning a new mindset that separates being without clothes from the intent of having sex. Becoming confidant in your own body and accepting others bodies just as they are. This is not something you can do by yourself, but can only be accomplished within a community that exemplifies this mindset.

I would say that if someonespends a significant amount of time nude at home, they are a nudist, even if they aren't nude in public.

This post was edited

Interesting thoughts. i know my wife does not like nudity because of her own body image. As we got older, our bodies are not as attractive as they once were. She also does not seeing anyone else nude. I'm not sure which category that would fall into.

This post was edited

So twist the line of this discussion a bit.What does make one a nudist?

I'd suggest that its a case of doing it for the enjoyment of being nude as opposed to the necessity of removing clothes such as to take a bath or shower.

This post was edited

I would say that if someone spends a significant amount of time nude at home, they are a nudist, even if they aren't nude in public.

I'd agree with that. That's why I make a distinction between "nudism" and "social nudism." If one enjoys being nude, or is more comfortable when nude, and goes nude as often as possible, then that person would qualify as a nudist in my book. If the person goes to events where there are other naked people, then that person is a "social nudist." I'd guess there should be a category for folks who only go nude when at a nudist gathering and not in their everyday lives, but I haven't met anybody like that.

This post was edited

Wow that is a wonderful feeling that she is shedding outdated beliefs. i very happy for you for you both

This post was edited