4 reasons people are not nudists

I've been a nudist for about 3 yrs now. I often talk to people and invite them to scratch skinny dipping off their list. Over the years, I've heard many declining thoughts on the subject. I have put them all under 3 headings. It is quite likely that there are other broad generalizations that I didn't think of. Please take a look and put in your 2 cents worth.

1. I am not happy with my own body as it is, right now. Therefore I dont want anyone to see my body.

2. I have concerns that in some way, nudity in a social, recreational, non-sexual setting - in mixed company is somehow bad.

3. I dont want to see other peoples nude bodies because the sight is, in some way/s distasteful to me.

This topic was edited
RE:4 reasons people are not nudists

I did have a religious group say nudity was not acceptable so maybe some have views on morality.

This post was edited

thx for the input. yes, nudity could be equal to sexuality for some. and that activity outside of with spouse could be defined as sinful by religious beliefs.

This post was edited

My wife is not a Nudist by most definitions. She likes being nude in certain situations but prefers dressing for the occasion. She is nude around the house mostly and when we go to nude venues but still has the view that nudity is sexual in spite of not seeing any sexual arousals when we have been nude socially. We are both large people and she has said If I had a body like hers, I would be nude all the time. Her attitude of the people that see her nude was that they will likely never see her again so it doesnt matter. We have made nude friends though so now her thought is, if we met nude then its okay but she doesnt want anyone that we already know to see us nude. That is her biggest fear of going to the local club, running into some one we know.

This post was edited

It really is difficult to place the reasons behind people that are not nudist. Although you have an idea of a few from your list, but keeping in mind a given reason why one is not a nudist can be from reason a person does not give. You will find it is asking why someone is a nudist is a much easier answer to believe since most nudist, in just being a nudist have nothing to hide (nowhere to hide it either). As Tex said, religion is a common reason given, but some of those answers are coming from someone that may like the idea and has been told it is bad, wrong, not approved of in such religion. It is unfortunate religion is used in the manor of teaching people it is wrong since mankind was created naked and unashamed. Just with me giving some small input on your question, you could find all kinds of reasons given why not to be a nudist but not a lo many reasons why. Keep in mind there are also a good number of people out there that may be a nudist, but tell others they are for various reason.
I will say as for myself I am a nudist my religious belief that God created our world & everything in it, including mankind naked, and said when complete, "All is good". I was brought up in a Southern Baptist home and then a Christian home so nudity a nono. I made my own decision from reading. Before of which I would have said it was against my religion. I do like the idea of putting together a list of reasons why so we as nudist can better see the current reasons being given. I tend to challenge answer with information why i agree or disagree with them.

Have a great day and enjoy

This post was edited

Nudism is like Christianity, you either hide it or flaunt it. We live in a diverse society and shouldn't expect everyone to be as accepting as we are. However, we are a free society so we should respect that all may not agree with us and not mark them as evil because they don't. There are too many people in this country that are too easily offended and will call you a "hater" if you don't agree with them. What happened to liberty and justice for all?
I may have rambled off the topic here, but I really don't care why people are not nudist, I won't be meeting them at my favorite resort. However, I don't worry that someone may find out that I am a nudist and think badly of me, I am a nudist and what people think of me is their problem, not mine. I have many nudist friends and many non-nudist friends and I love them all but I will admit that if some of my non-nudist friends saw me naked they would probably drop me from their Christmas card list!

This post was edited

2. I have concerns that in some way, nudity in a social, recreational, non-sexual setting - in mixed company is somehow bad./quote]

A related one:
2.5 I don't trust the setting to BE non-sexual.

This post was edited

I have heard people use biblical reference to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden as justification for nudity, and in mixed/non-sexual settings. I have also heard the line" we are all made in God's own image, and I don't want to hide the image of God from the public."
I've been thinking through all the excuses/reasons I've heard, or used to use myself. I boil them down to basically:
It's against religious rules.
It's against local/state/governmental laws.
It's sexual and labels the participants at "inferior" or "of poor moral standards".
I'm ashamed of my body/no one else would every want to see me naked unless they wanted to.have sex with me (and they wouldn't likely want that).

This post was edited

Jehoram, you raise some good points. As you point out the missionaries did a number off the native population by imposing their ideas of morality when in reality we could learn a lot from the Native Americans on how to live especially before being corrupted and mistreated by the immigrants.

Also, you make a point about how many people are living with or have horrible memories of past things like your wife. Its not just those people but people that hear about or see how it affects someone. They tend to work to protect themselves from ending up in similar situations.

This post was edited

So twist the line of this discussion a bit.What does make one a nudist?Everyone showers or bathes without clothes. That does not make them a nudist. Everyone uses the restroom at least partially unclothed. That does not make them a nudist. During the COVID outbreak working from home alone without clothes does not make them a nudist. Taking your clothes off to have sex with your significant other does not make you a nudist.So what does? Coming together in community without clothes for purposes that have nothing to do with sex. That doesnt mean nudists dont have sex, but doing so doesnt make them a nudist.So the whole point of nudism is learning a new mindset that separates being without clothes from the intent of having sex. Becoming confidant in your own body and accepting others bodies just as they are. This is not something you can do by yourself, but can only be accomplished within a community that exemplifies this mindset.

I would say that if someonespends a significant amount of time nude at home, they are a nudist, even if they aren't nude in public.

This post was edited

Interesting thoughts. i know my wife does not like nudity because of her own body image. As we got older, our bodies are not as attractive as they once were. She also does not seeing anyone else nude. I'm not sure which category that would fall into.

This post was edited