Nude vs. Naked: the philosophical differences.

This is a philosophical topic I've long been interested in: is it "nude" or is it "naked?"

If we go by the dictionary definitions (Cambridge) of each, nude is "not wearing any clothes", and naked is "not covered by clothes." So the terms are virtually identical and interchangeable in their definition.

As a nudist though, I find some philosophical differences between the two. Art, where the subject depicted is without clothes, is most often referred to as "a Nude." Michelangelo's David is one of the most famous "Nudes." You don't often hear it referred to as "Michelangelo's Naked David." "David", being a statue, is an inanimate object. It does not move; it is static. You're not going to see "David" doing anything more than just stand there in its fixed standing position; no matter how long you look at it.

This notion of "static vs. dynamic", or "nude vs. naked" becomes distinctive to me in the nudist environment. There are people who enjoy being nude; but prefer to enjoy it in a "static" manner, perhaps because they just prefer sitting by the pool or on the beach tanning, or because they lack the confidence to be more "actively" nude. They are just lying there, barely moving. Their lack of clothing certainly makes them "nude"; but there's not really any "expression" in their nudity.

My personal philosophy of nudism is more "dynamic." At the resort, you won't find me being very "static." I spend a lot more time swimming, jogging, canoeing and paddle boarding than I do sitting by the pool. I'm expressing my physicality very openly. So I consider myself to be "naked" because I'm not "just nude."
My wife started out as a "nude nudist"; initially preferring to just sit by the pool and remain nude only in a "static" position. This was due to a lack of confidence; in spite of her inclination to remove all her clothing. As I am a "naked nudist", she felt compelled to engage in activities with me; and gradually embrace them. Her biggest hurtle was to get comfortable being seen "expressing her physicality" around other people. Because it's one thing to be seen "nude" while sitting/lying in a static position; it's another to be seen "naked" while being active. The difference is "movement", which can entail boobs bouncing while playing ping-pong, or standing with legs open while paddle-boarding on a lake. This "moving nudity", and perhaps more "candid" nudity, by my definition: then becomes "nakedness." And so even my wife, now, refers to herself as "naked" at nudist venues; because the way she expresses herself there is now dynamic and...candid.

On a side note I am not passing judgment on people who take a "nude" approach. It's just my personal philosophy.

Anyway, its just a (philosophical) thought.

This topic was edited
RE:Nude vs. Naked: the philosophical differences.

If we go by the dictionary definitions (Cambridge) of each, nude is "not wearing any clothes", and naked is "not covered by clothes." So the terms are virtually identical and interchangeable in their definition.

On this basis a nude can hide his modesty by draping a cloth over himself, without actually wearing it. And someone who is naked can wear clothes which don't cover him - as in Donald Ducking. Maybe the picture below qualifies for either.

Personally I use Nude and "naked" to mean the same thing - wearing nothing (but maybe allowing a sun hat and sandals).

This post was edited
RE:Nude vs. Naked: the philosophical differences.

The Reader's Digest Oxford Complete Wordfinder (dictionary and thesaurus) Defines "naked" as anything which is open and uncovered - such as the Naked Truth, Naked Aggression or Naked Flame. It includes naked people. The term "Nude" is kept for naked people. In that case the two words are interchangeable. It goes on to define a Nude as an artwork (or photograph) depicting a nude/naked person.

This post was edited